• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about 45 ACP loads

09cs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Commiefornia
I've only loaded 223 and 308 before and looking to get into loading some pistol loads for plinking.

I was talking to someone and they said that 45 cases have different primer pocket sizes, some use LPP and some SPP is that true? If so easiest way to tell the difference? or just eye ball it?

you'll know it is a small primer pocket when a large primer won't fit, go easy and if it get too hard stop or you can look at every single spent primers and sort them out, it sucks but once done, it failry easy to keep them separated.
cheers.

Most all .45 ACP has LPP. Federal did make some with SPP but that was an American Eagle load. Standard .45ACP is all LPP.

SPP is becoming more common as the "green" ammo comes on line.

I load LPP because I have a crapload of brass but now I can get access to way more SPP brass. The other pistol caliber I load for is SPP I would have been better off going SPP for my practice ammo and kept my inventory down to three primer types.

Decide now what you want to do and run with it.

Blazer, federal, speer and probably others make both LP and SP.

View attachment 51410

I recently visually sorted 2000 pc of 45 brass.

uploadfromtaptalk1411991937307.jpg

You can buy 'mixed brass' or buy presorted large primer. I bought 4k pcs of mixed brass for 0.05/ea and don't mind culling the small primer brass out. Presorted might run 8-10 cents/ea. It's worth it to me to save on large quantities, and sort myself. Then when I get enough small primer brass, I'll switch my Dillon to small primer and load those.

I learned the hard way when I started loading 45. I got my Dillon all set up for the first time, started loading and was regularly crushing a few primers. Did some reading and found out AFTER that there are small primer 45s. Luckily I didn't detonate any trying to stuff large primers into small pockets!

Yeah I'm glad I'm finding out before hand as well! I only have some range brass right now, so not much. Since it's not a lot I'll probably be able to sort through it pretty fast!

Once you've sorted thru a few thousand, your eye's will be able to pick out the small vs. the large.

My press is set up for LPP, so I don't bother with the SPP .45's.

Blazer, federal, speer and probably others make both LP and SP.

View attachment 51410

I recently visually sorted 2000 pc of 45 brass.

View attachment 51411

You can buy 'mixed brass' or buy presorted large primer. I bought 4k pcs of mixed brass for 0.05/ea and don't mind culling the small primer brass out. Presorted might run 8-10 cents/ea. It's worth it to me to save on large quantities, and sort myself. Then when I get enough small primer brass, I'll switch my Dillon to small primer and load those.

I learned the hard way when I started loading 45. I got my Dillon all set up for the first time, started loading and was regularly crushing a few primers. Did some reading and found out AFTER that there are small primer 45s. Luckily I didn't detonate any trying to stuff large primers into small pockets!

When you run the Dillon after awhile you'll have that finesse feel to it and know what feels right. Just comes natural over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk