• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about a Military College

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
The Citadel.
They have contacted me twice asking if im still interested in going.

Im in 11th Grade, and i was planning on joining the military after getting my bachelors in college.
Anyone here on the hide graduate from the Citadel and can give me some feedback?

Re: Question about a Military College

It really depends on what you're looking to do. I'd say do ROTC somewhere unless you are truly interested in going to the Citadel. I've never seen much difference between officers from ROTC programs and any college outside of West Point. West Pointers are a breed all of their own.

Any reason you want to go to a military academy? Live it up and go to your dream school and let ROTC pay for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It really depends on what you're looking to do. I'd say do ROTC somewhere unless you are truly interested in going to the Citadel. I've never seen much difference between officers from ROTC programs and any college outside of West Point. West Pointers are a breed all of their own.

Any reason you want to go to a military academy? Live it up and go to your dream school and let ROTC pay for it. </div></div>

I dont know honestly. I haven't much of a clue what i want to do in life, i do want to join the military. Ill have to do some research for the ROTC

Having never had an officer that I knew was from the Citadel, I can't offer anything regarding that.

However, from what I have seen, ROTC officers tend to be more well rounded and interested in letting the NCO's do their job as NCO's which helps out overall. West Pointers tended to have a more "I'm an officer, respect my authority" vibe. Some were great tactically, some were not.

I think you will have a much more rewarding college experience in ROTC from what I have seen and heard from officers who went to ROTC vs. a mil academy.

That being said, if you were to know in your heart you wanted to be career military- the ring knockers will put you in a great position if you keep your shit straight.

If you are not currently in JROTC, go talk to them and find out what you can about ROTC college programs to push you in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having never had an officer that I knew was from the Citadel, I can't offer anything regarding that.

However, from what I have seen, ROTC officers tend to be more well rounded and interested in letting the NCO's do their job as NCO's which helps out overall. West Pointers tended to have a more "I'm an officer, respect my authority" vibe. Some were great tactically, some were not.

I think you will have a much more rewarding college experience in ROTC from what I have seen and heard from officers who went to ROTC vs. a mil academy.

That being said, if you were to know in your heart you wanted to be career military- the ring knockers will put you in a great position if you keep your shit straight.

If you are not currently in JROTC, go talk to them and find out what you can about ROTC college programs to push you in the right direction.

</div></div>

Thanks for the input and advice!

Friend's dad went to Citadel - I think you need to be pretty motivated to go there of all places.

As far as Academies go, been there, done that, I'd recommend OCS, then ROTC. You have a better chance of getting the service selection you want out of ROTC as compared to an academy in most cases - though in reality, you should be joining to be part of the service, not b/c you only want a particular job. Case in point, I ended up in an assignment that was the last thing I would have wanted to do (hadn't even heard of it until my other options were exhausted), but I'm still happy with my decisions so far.

Academy: more training opportunities (more required as well) - this can be seen as good or bad, but comparitively, I ran e-course, o-course, shot, did field exercises, etc. a lot more than my contemporaries in ROTC programs. Mind you half the time these events are lead by students and not experienced officers or other military faculty, so take what you "learn" with a grain of salt and realize that you're just there for some familiarization and follow on schools will teach you what you really need to know.

ROTC: normal (or at least more-so) college life - don't underappreciate this. You control your destiny with more free time, consequently need to be more self-motivated, and I think for this reason I think most ROTC grads are better able to handle life.

OCS: Go to college and focus on school. Learn all the basic military stuff you need at once, after you're done with your degree. Possibly get some pay during school depending on the programs available and maybe get paid more once you get commissioned. One of my buds got commissioned as an O-1 with 2 years because he did the NUPOC program, despite not doing anything military for his four years in college. The academies start you out as an O-1 with no years.

Citadel: I've only heard about the crap they used to make freshmen do back in the day from my friend's pop, so no real idea here.

It's probably a bit late to apply, but most academies run a summer program for juniors going into senior year. There are also programs where you can shadow mids/cadets for a weekend during the school year to get a little idea of what the institution is like.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friend's dad went to Citadel - I think you need to be pretty motivated to go there of all places.

As far as Academies go, been there, done that, I'd recommend OCS, then ROTC. You have a better chance of getting the service selection you want out of ROTC as compared to an academy in most cases - though in reality, you should be joining to be part of the service, not b/c you only want a particular job. Case in point, I ended up in an assignment that was the last thing I would have wanted to do (hadn't even heard of it until my other options were exhausted), but I'm still happy with my decisions so far.

Academy: more training opportunities (more required as well) - this can be seen as good or bad, but comparitively, I ran e-course, o-course, shot, did field exercises, etc. a lot more than my contemporaries in ROTC programs. Mind you half the time these events are lead by students and not experienced officers or other military faculty, so take what you "learn" with a grain of salt and realize that you're just there for some familiarization and follow on schools will teach you what you really need to know.

ROTC: normal (or at least more-so) college life - don't underappreciate this. You control your destiny with more free time, consequently need to be more self-motivated, and I think for this reason I think most ROTC grads are better able to handle life.

OCS: Go to college and focus on school. Learn all the basic military stuff you need at once, after you're done with your degree. Possibly get some pay during school depending on the programs available and maybe get paid more once you get commissioned. One of my buds got commissioned as an O-1 with 2 years because he did the NUPOC program, despite not doing anything military for his four years in college. The academies start you out as an O-1 with no years.

Citadel: I've only heard about the crap they used to make freshmen do back in the day from my friend's pop, so no real idea here.

It's probably a bit late to apply, but most academies run a summer program for juniors going into senior year. There are also programs where you can shadow mids/cadets for a weekend during the school year to get a little idea of what the institution is like.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
</div></div>

Thanks for your advice

Also im not thinking of joining the military, to get a free pass on an education, or a job down the line. I want to join because of what it stands behind, the discipline, the motivation, the inspiration, and the experience

If you are serious about a military school take a hard look at the United States Merchant Marine Academy. It is by far one of the best college experiences that you could find.

I wish my friend that went there would have told me about it. He travelled the world and partied like a rockstar while receiving a top notch education.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Citadel.
They have contacted me twice asking if im still interested in going.

Im in 11th Grade, and i was planning on joining the military after getting my bachelors in college.
Anyone here on the hide graduate from the Citadel and can give me some feedback? </div></div>

Hmm someone from my home town - where are you in HS at GHS, JL Mann . . .

Anyway while I didn't graduate from there I did go there during my freshman year (knob year). I don't know how it is now but then ('77 - ask me where I was when Elvis died . . . at drill practice) it wasn't for the faint of heart, but I wouldn't have traded it for the world - though I did get married which ended my membership in the long grey line. I know of many officers from El Cid some of who became Generals etc. There have been others, while not distinquished in their military career who became famous non the less, such as Pat Conry (Great Santini, Prince of Tides, etc). Also look around Greenville you'll find many who wear the ring.

The traditional military colleges and universities with standing Corps of Cadets (The Citadel, Virginia Military Institute, and Texas A&M) and the military junior colleges (New Mexico Military Institute, North Georgia Military College, and Norwich University) tend to produce military officers who knew what they wanted to do even before getting to college.

Life can be very intense your first year at one of the four-year institutes as freshmen have no "Standing" in life. You are socialized to become upperclassmen as formed by that system, to become military officers or civilian graduates who have been tempered by the crucible of that school's indoctrination and academics. Relationships you build with your classmates (in your own company and across the Corps of Cadets, and between generations of alumni) will follow you throughout your life and career.

Social life at a corps of cadets at a college with a large civilian student body (wimmen) make life easier to tolerate and will develop you socially.

Demands on your time and body from the Cadet Corps will more than likely affect your grades more than if you were at a civilian institution of learning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The traditional military colleges and universities with standing Corps of Cadets (The Citadel, Virginia Military Institute, and Texas A&M) and the military junior colleges (New Mexico Military Institute, North Georgia Military College, and Norwich University)...</div></div>

The term "junior college" is normally used to designate institutions whose terminal degree is an Associate's degree granted in about two years.

Norwich is a full 4-year institution granting traditional Bachelor's degrees and includes a sizable graduate school.

Norwich was where the ROTC program originated, and has full ROTC programs for all 4 branches of the service. Norwich regularly commissions more Army lieutenants yearly than any institution except for West Point.

http://www.norwich.edu/about/news/2008/011808-rotc.html

I think that it should have been grouped with The Citadel, VMI, and Texas A&M.

Also, Norwich is the only other school outside of West Point to commission regular army officers, not active duty reservist (USAR) who are full time active duty.

Bottom line is the military schools are directed more to those desiring to have a career in the military, not just serve their initial commitment and get out; although some have had very successful non-military related careers even with an academy education.

I have a few friends from VMI that have never served in the military. They are a tight group and have done well in the civilian world. My experience with military schools was for secondary school (Culver Academies) the transition for my friends was pretty easy but that is to expected.

I am also friends with an alumnus and board member at Norwich he speaks very highly of the school.

Of all the military universities I firmly believe that the best opportunities are at U.S.M.M.A. their sea year program is amazing and to be situated in Long Island is fantastic...just a train ride from Manhattan or you could always take out a sale boat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, Norwich is the only other school outside of West Point to commission regular army officers, not active duty reservist (USAR) who are full time active duty.
</div></div>

Mike, that used to be true of Norwich graduates, but I don't believe that it is true any longer.

See:

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r601_100.pdf

And from a wikipedia page:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since passage of the 2005 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), all active duty officers are commissioned in the regular army. Eligible commissioned officers serving on active duty were automatically converted to RA on/or after Veteran's Day, 11 November 2005.</div></div>