• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes question about a scope resting on top of a picc. rail

bonesaw5

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Wilmington, NC
Hey fellas, I just bought a vortex viper with a big 50mm bell and have it mounted in med rings...am I risking and issues with having the bottom of the scope touching the top rail. not concerned about a scratch or whatever on scope, just accuracy and reliability issues.

If I understand correctly, your rail is sticking out a little beyond the receiver and the bell is touching that part? You do not want your scope to touch anything but the rings. If your rail is similar to the Weaver rail, just trim the first or so slots off.

Here is a vid, John explains it a bit better. He is a member on this board as well.

"Budget Precision" Pt.2 - TPS Ring and Scope Mounting, Remington 700 - YouTube

I wouldn't have my scope touching anything but the rings. It seems that if the scope clears the barrel and fits your cheek weld, then cutting the base would be a good rout to go. If it is for something with a built in rail higher rings would be my answer.

Last edited:
Yes Sir, It's mounted on a Noveske .223 AR build, with 20" NM barrel I just completed, so its resting on the top of the samson evolution handguard picc. rail....
...I would not need to worry about a whole lot of flex on .223 right?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, can you actually get a decent cheek weld with medium rings on an AR? Most people use rings that put the centerline of the scope 1.6" above the rail. That'll give you about .25" clearance with an SWFA 5-20x50 or a Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50.

If I was happy with the scope position. I would consider removing the offending portion of the rail any way. I am not shy about doing that kind of stuff.

If I was happy with the scope position. I would consider removing the offending portion of the rail any way. I am not shy about doing that kind of stuff.

Not so easy on an AR. You could do it, but it would be very difficult to not make it look like a hack job.

Not that it is for everyone. But I have been l have been know to choose function over form at times. I would not do it unless I was sure that I would be able to live with the results.

Just out of curiosity, can you actually get a decent cheek weld with medium rings on an AR? Most people use rings that put the centerline of the scope 1.6" above the rail. That'll give you about .25" clearance with an SWFA 5-20x50 or a Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50.

Agreed. I recently put a different scope on the AR for hunting longer distances this spring. I had the 1.5" mount and now went to medium rings. It is really low and uncomfortable.