• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

question about barrel twist rate and projectile grains

vszero

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2013
baltimore, md
i plan to use .308, during researching about bullet, it seems that 168 and 175 is preferred, where can i buy the bullet, i dont reload

is 1:12 good choice and i am planning to get 20 inch barrel or should i get 22-24 inches?

20" is plenty of barrel, unless you are going to be using strictly as a bench or prone gun, the 22" is a good compromise of the two. A 1/10 twist would be a littel more suited for the 175s and above.
308 ammo is very hard to come by these days. Federal Gold Medal, Black Hills match, CorBon, Copper Creek and SouthWest all make great match grade.

If you're looking for factory ammo you will just have to keep your eye out at the major retailers. All of the ammo listed above is gtg. I personally prefer a little longer barrel, 24" range but that's just for some extra velocity. I'm not packing mine far so the weight and length don't bother me

I would stay at 168gr with a 1:12 and if you wanted a heavier bullet, go with a 1:10, JMHO.

Sorry strike33, I see you told the OP the same thing....

20" is plenty of barrel, unless you are going to be using strictly as a bench or prone gun, the 22" is a good compromise of the two. A 1/10 twist would be a littel more suited for the 175s and above.
308 ammo is very hard to come by these days. Federal Gold Medal, Black Hills match, CorBon, Copper Creek and SouthWest all make great match grade.

22 sounds good for me, i'll be using for hunting and prone/bench.

If you strictly 168-175 1:11 or 1:11.25 is perfect.1:10 suited 180+ but il take 1:10 too if its avail.lenth? I would say 22 for all around for target 24 ir longer

If you're shooting mostly factory ammo, you'll see little difference in MV between 22" and 20". I'd go with a 20", simply because its handier.

Barrel length? What are you using the gun for and what distance?

Twist? A 1-12 will handle most bullets up to 190gr. I like the 11.25 twist range more personally.

No need for a 1-10 unless you plan on shooting 200gr. and heavier bullets.

175gr. bullets fly better at distance then most 168's do. I don't even waste my time with 168's. If you want a lighter bullet to shoot then I go to the 155's.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels