• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Question about bow

dubetsky13

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2011
New york
Hi guys quick question about a bow I'm thinking about buying used to get me started in archery. The bow is a hoyt vtec. Draw length up to 29" and I think draw weight goes to either 60 or 70 pound. My question is if anyone on the forum has ever had one and what they think about it? Thanks

Re: Question about bow

Hard to beat a Hoyt...but I shoot a Mathews.

Visit a pro shop and get some hands on professional help deciding what bow to begin with. Lots of variables, especially today, and some bows are just plain tough to shoot even for an experienced archer; perfect form, perfect release, etc. On the other hand, some are VERY forgiving, and THAT's where you need to start. Draw length and poundage are only part of the equation.

If you are serious about speed bow archery, start with a Pro Shop.........

Hoyg is gtg for me. I bought mine used for a great price. Just be sure to checj the strings if they have any fraying or need to be replaced you will have to pay 100-150deposits depending upon the bow shops in your area. Also left handed bows are usually cheaper as long as you are not right eye dominate.

Hoyt has been around for a long time. Bad bows made by bad companies don't usually stay in the industry for long. When it comes to buying a bow it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it. Shoot it and decide for yourself. Your bow will pick you.

Shoot it before you buy it. Bows are very personal and I for one would never buy one without being able to shoot it. IMHO brace height (the distance from the grip to the string) is more important than draw weight, especially for new shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot it before you buy it. Bows are very personal and I for one would never buy one without being able to shoot it. IMHO brace height (the distance from the grip to the string) is more important than draw weight, especially for new shooters. </div></div>

ditto

i just purchased my first bow in the beginning of the summer. I shot the Bowtech Destroyer, Mathews Z7, and Hoyt CRX32. Each bow felt totally different. All were 70lb drawl. The Hoyt felt the most balanced and dead in my hand. I went with that and never looked back. I love my Hoyt. My friend has a Bowtech Assassin, and I dont care for that at all.