• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about buy/sell and what is normal

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I have been a member for a while and have bought numerous things from the buy/sell forum. I just recently signed up as a supporter to be able to sell things.

Whenever I have bought something I have sent payment to the seller within minutes.

How long is reasonable to wait for someone to make payment? I get people are busy, might be at work and can’t log in, whatever but if someone posts on your thread “I’ll take it” what is a reasonable timeframe for them to make payment arrangements?

I am not making a complaint about a specific instance but just in general if someone posts “I’ll take it“ and then they don’t contact you or reply to a PM how long should you wait on them? If nothing is heard in 24 hours would it be unreasonable to write them off and post the item is still available? More time, less time? What I am wondering is what is the proper protocol for this.

No one is fucking normal anymore, any 'unwritten assumptions' of how things should work are long gone.

Write in your ad specifically what your payment expectations are.

"If payment or evidence of payment is not received in full in 48 hours, the item will go back up for sale"

*evidence of payment can be a picture of the money order if you accept those.

Just a thought, but these days, fuck assuming anything, people are tards and they suck

Sounds reasonable. Yes if someone said they need to go to bank, are out of town and won’t be able to send for a day or two, or whatever that is no biggie. I was mainly talking about a situation where it is just crickets and you hear nothing from them.

I have never had an issue with this, as everyone I have dealt with here has been “stand up”.

That said, I expect payment immediately, unless other arrangements are specified at the time of closing the deal. Immediately means now.

In return, they get a product shipped immediately, with no delays.

If an issue arises on my end they get “over communication”. None of this “I am super busy but not too busy to take your money” crap….. “On my end” also includes “in transit” issues.

I am responsible for anything I ship, until it is received. I factor that into the price. None of this “ insurance is optional and extra” crap.

Best practices goes both ways…..

Last edited:
For me, as a rule, set forth what is expected from both parties in a very detailed manner. This should be in the thread, site DMs, external emails, texts, phone calls, etc. If someone doesn't like getting specific as to the terms of the transaction that make you comfortable, move on.

I'm very partial to comms using the site (for record). External comms are used in addition to site comms, if/when needed or wanted.

YMMV,
Keith

Reactions: lash
I have never had an issue with this, as everyone I have dealt with here has been “stand up”.

That said, I expect payment immediately, unless other arrangements are specified at the time of closing the deal. Immediately means now.

If an issue arises on my end they get “over communication”. None of this “I am super busy but not to busy to take your money” crap….. On my end also includes “in transit” issues.

I am responsible for anything I ship, until it is received. I factor that into the price. None of this “ insurance is optional and extra” crap.

This 1000%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: Charmingmander
Within 24 hours is normal, 48 hours is ok..the only exception would be if a buyer communicated a specific reason for a delay. An example would be I recently bought a watch from someone and they weren't set up for electronic payment, wanting a good old fashioned check. I was at the cabin and my checkbook was at home. I just told them about the few days delay and why, along with the specific date I would mail it. I then followed up the same day I did so as well.

Sounds reasonable. Yes if someone said they need to go to bank, are out of town and won’t be able to send for a day or two, or whatever that is no biggie. I was mainly talking about a situation where it is just crickets and you hear nothing from them.

I expect some form of communication in a few hours. If you have time to post "I'll take it", you have time to communicate your intentions on payment. The few hours is meant to account for those times you are driving down the road and barely get an I'll take it typed without killing yourself, or sitting in a meeting, whatever.

I will send payment once we've discussed and agreed upon payment.

I also don't browse the classifieds unless I know I'll have reasonable access to the site. If I'm working in a place with no service for days on end then I wouldn't expect anyone to deal with me.

If an issue arises on my end they get “over communication”. None of this “I am super busy but not to busy to take your money” crap….. On my end also includes “in transit” issues.

X 1,000,000

I've had exception experience selling all kinds of items here on the hide. 🤜🪵