• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Question about buying already bedded stocks

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
If a guy beds a wood 700 BDL stock to his short barreled action, is it going to be a good fit for somebody else's barreled action? Are there any variances from action to action? Assuming both are factory original stock?

Re: Question about buying already bedded stocks

the difference between barreled actions is one major reason for bedding in the first place. i wouldn't expect one barreled action to fit flawlessly into one bedded for a different barreled action. removing a bit of bedding material and re-skim bedding shouldn't be that big of a deal for someone who is handy in the garage.

Joel:

I got a heck of a deal on a previously bedded McMillan A5 went out to the old garage and broke out the old Dremel tool and it took me all of 15 mins to clean it all up. I finished it out with a quick 600 grit and blended everything out...perfect.

Even though the work isn't too difficult, it never hurts to drop the action in torque it up and shoot it. You might find that it shoots great without the rebeding.