• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about eye protection

catswithguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2013
Oklahoma
I'm new here, so pardon my ignorance. I've noticed on most of the photos and videos posted on this site, very few shooters use eye protection. Every event I've every participated in requires eye protection. Just curious as to the thoughts on this subject.

Every once in a while I take mine of for something and forget to put them back on for a short while, but other than that always have eye pro on!! I think most others will agree.

+1 never walk out the door without sunglasses and those are all ballistic climbing type so they double as shooting glasses

If you shoot any type of competition they always state that eye and ear protection are required.

I always wondered why, but I shot 3-P air rifle with army JROTC all through high school, and I don't think I or anyone on my team put on eyes a single time, even in competition (regional and national championships included...). Doesn't make it smart, just confusing as this wasn't long ago at all. But yeah, I still don't wear them like I should. Need to be better at that one.

It's one thing I need to be more diligent at wearing.

My range is in my back yard. It's way to easy to go out with a gun when I have a little time and shoot. I always think of it when I'm at the range, but to lazy to take a walk back to the house.

It's not a good excuse

Close your eyes for a few seconds the next time you shoot and you will see the value of your eyes. Always wear your eye protection!

When I am at a range that requires eye protection, I wear glasses. But when I shoot, I raise them and place them on my forehead. Why?

Because I have not found a pair of glasses that I can shoot well with. I shoot better without them. Of course this is probably not smart.

I now have some prescription glasses, I will try them. They might help. (I just don't like prescription glasses and forget to bring them to the range.) This post might prompt me to be more diligent. It is smart to wear glasses, right?

We have all had times when we got careless and didn't put them on, but they are really one of the most important thing in shooting. In my opinion ear protection is first.
I actually go with double plugs for rifles and some pistols.

On a side note of eye protection, you should also wear them while priming brass.