• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question about fast and slow powders

Zengineer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2012
sl,ut
I'm looking to try some new powders for my 44 pistol. I currently use Unique for 240 swc. I was wondering how fast is too fast for 240 swc/ 310 bullet. I was thinking Titegroup for 240 but I'm a little concerned about a really fast powder for a heavy lead bullet and a lot of case volume. Straighten me out on fast vs slow powders?

Re: Question about fast and slow powders

Also I'm looking for a medium load for 240. The 310s I want slow and as little recoil as possible, I shoot bowling pins. High power factor with low recoil

Unique is the only powder that I know of that the Lyman Cast bullet manual used for every bullet in it (Circa 1975 era).

I don't think you will have any problems with it if the case isn't quite full.

I've shot it in 30.30, 3006, 44mag and 45ACP. Full loads / light loads, no problems.

Unique will do fine. But for lite loads as you describe, I'd consider Bullseye or 231. 3.5 to 4 grains ought to give you around 650 fps with the 300 gr cast. Max would be around 7 grains You could probably go down to 2.5 to 3 grains with the 240 grain. Max would be about 9 grains. All assuming lead bullets. If you go too low and stick one, the lead is easy to tap back out. You DON'T want to stick a heavy jacketed bullet.