• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about groupings

Doorgunner68

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2023
Missouri
New to precision shooting and have a grouping question. Went to the range today and shot a 20 round box. I was a little impatient (bad day at work)and shot quicker than I normally do. I guess I was firing about every 30 seconds. Groupings were great and tight until about the 12th round and then the groupings were opening up. I did feel the barrel and it was hot. What is the time interval and number of shots do you usually see the groupings opening up?
Thanks

depend on the rifle and barrel
pencil barrel hunting rifle can be 3 shots
most competition focused guns (PRS, F Class, BR) have barrels that easily handle 10-20 rounds no problem
a medium barrel like a Sendero/Rem Varmint maybe somewhere in the middle

but also depends on cartridge
and barrel mirage can have an impact too

Reactions: Marine52 and Modoc
Tons of variables here. What does "great and tight" mean and what does "opening up" mean? What distance? What barrel maker, which barrel contour, what cartridge, SS vs carbon fiber wrapped, environmental conditions? It could be anything from shooter fatigue/errors, to mirage from the barrel, to ammo MV speeding up, to the barrel actually 'walking' from the heat, etc.

With a Proof SS competition contour chambered in a 6mm, I don't have issues shooting 12-rounds in 90 -120 seconds. With a Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrel chambered in a L/A magnum, and shooting in cold temperatures, I will see pretty heavy mirage from the barrel by about the 5th or 6th round. If you are shooting out at distance, you could be "cooking" a round in the chamber resulting in higher MV for that round. I've seen some factory match ammo with a temperature variance of about 3 fps/degree. If we are talking 100 yards, this will be less of a factor.

I'd say your first step would be to take yourself out of the equation before looking at your gear. Shoot maybe 4 or 5-rounds, then let the rifle completely cool. I'd step away from the rifle, pick it up and then set-up that prone position between shots. Do that a few times at the same point of aim. It could be as simple as that's the group size that you, your ammo, and your equipment are currently capable of achieving at this point.

Reactions: Modoc
depend on the rifle and barrel
pencil barrel hunting rifle can be 3 shots
most competition focused guns (PRS, F Class, BR) have barrels that easily handle 10-20 rounds no problem
a medium barrel like a Sendero/Rem Varmint maybe somewhere in the middle

but also depends on cartridge
and barrel mirage can have an impact too
I have an sig Sauer cross PRS .308 rifle. It has a heavy contour 24” barrel, thanks

Good friend Rajmond of mine shot this couple of days ago
60rds (+15 or so sighters marked 71-85) at 300m prone ,off hand .sling diopter and with factory ammo (Norma 6BR)

New 300M prone world record for 60rds (6x10)

*circle is 10cm , 1moa is 87.3mm at 300m , so most of the 60+rd group is well under 1moa
375052088_3130696733893864_8484221621599332514_n.jpg

Crossed over shots are sighters in the 6x10 course of fire
375048168_3130687240561480_4172761770892076002_n.jpg

Good friend Rajmond of mine shot this couple of days ago
60rds (+15 or so sighters marked 71-85) at 300m prone ,off hand .sling diopter and with factory ammo (Norma 6BR)

New 300M prone world record for 60rds (6x10)

*circle is 10cm , 1moa is 87.3mm at 300m , so most of the 60+rd group is well under 1moa
View attachment 8219312

Crossed over shots are sighters in the 6x10 course of fire
View attachment 8219313
What is the barrel contour? Are these fired in relatively one long 70-80rnd string? What is the translation here to the OP question?

What is the barrel contour? Are these fired in relatively one long 70-80rnd string? What is the translation here to the OP question?
these are 6x 10 rd strings shot probably over well north of an hour, at around round per minute for each string , it still had to be a barrel ,ammo shooter combo to hold consistent POI

Relatively skinny, Palma like contour of a 300m free rifle , diopter and sling

Last edited:
Reactions: FredHammer
these are 6x 10 rd strings shot over at around round per minute, it still had to be a barrel ,ammo shooter combo to hold consistent POI

Relatively skinny, Palma like contour of a 300m free rifle
I don't disagree. I just want to know the takeaway from your posting of this as it relates to the OP's question. Because I'd like to know too.