• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question about head spacing.

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
Once a barrel is head spaced for a specific action, if I remove that barrel from the action for whatever reason, when I put it back on, is it as simple as just torquing it back in place and checking with a go / no-go gauge to make sure everything is still ok?

Im having a .308 finished right now and Im also going to have a 6.5 barrel done and for right now might swap back and forth once and awhile until I have a new rifle built for dedicated match use with the 6.5.

So if both barrels are head spaced for that action is it as easy as just spinning the barrel off in a barrel vice, re-torquing the new barrel and checking with a gauge?

Re: Question about head spacing.

So long as you use the same recoil lug, are certain that both barrels have been fitted properly, use the same sort of grease/lube on the threads, and know your torque wrench repeats, then there's no reason to think it won't screw on/off an infinite number of times.

So with that in mind, what action tool can I use to remove a Badger M2008 action?

My barrel wrech only has round inserts.

Thanks

Get a shiny new crescent wrench (where the surfaces aren't beat to piss), some brass shim stock, and have at it.

The alternative (what I eventually did) was buy a 3/4 thick piece of AL plate and machine a box inside to slip over the outside of the receiver.

Works!

Huh.....simple enough, that's a great idea.....thanks.

But then how do I torque it back with a crescent wrench?

Just tighten it til you hear it click.
smile.gif

I just made a wrench for mine today. Turned down a rod to fit the raceway and milled a slot to insert a plate through the ejection port. Oh, and I welded a nut on the end for a socket and torque wrench.

Heh....don't suppose you'd wanna make another one?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So long as you use the same recoil lug, are certain that both barrels have been fitted properly, use the same sort of grease/lube on the threads, and know your torque wrench repeats, then there's no reason to think it won't screw on/off an infinite number of times. </div></div>

What is the real-world HS difference between a typical heavy 30 cal barrel torqued to, say, 50lb-ft and 100lb-ft?

Never measured myself, but hard to believe it would be more than a couple tenths.

I was wondering that myself.

With the precision of a custom actions threads, it doesn't seem like you'd get much difference once the barrel bottoms out. I can't see 100 foot pounds changing headspace much over say 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So long as you use the same recoil lug, are certain that both barrels have been fitted properly, use the same sort of grease/lube on the threads, and know your torque wrench repeats, then there's no reason to think it won't screw on/off an infinite number of times. </div></div>

What action wrench are you using that incorporates the use of a torque wrench.

I have only seen barrel vise/ action wrench combinations that did not have torque spec ability.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krlemas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heh....don't suppose you'd wanna make another one?!?</div></div>

You can get them at Pacific Tool & Gauge.

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/inde...products_id=300 </div></div>

He needs one for a Badger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heh....don't suppose you'd wanna make another one?!? </div></div>

Maybe.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So long as you use the same recoil lug, are certain that both barrels have been fitted properly, use the same sort of grease/lube on the threads, and know your torque wrench repeats, then there's no reason to think it won't screw on/off an infinite number of times. </div></div>

What is the real-world HS difference between a typical heavy 30 cal barrel torqued to, say, 50lb-ft and 100lb-ft?

Never measured myself, but hard to believe it would be more than a couple tenths. </div></div>

Seems like it would depend on how much shoulder the barrel had against the lug.