• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Hornady Superperformance 73 ELD

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I apologize for the stupid question here.

About a month ago I thought I'd try some of the 73 ELD's, just got around to opening the box. I guess my old man eyes clicked the button for Superperformance instead of the standard "match".

I know this load has more pressure and a different curve than normal 223 ammo. However, is this safe to shoot in an AR chambered in 223 Wylde and no adjustable gas block? Is this stuff hotter than 5.56? Or should I just shoot it, inspect the brass it's chunking out for defects and call it wonderful if it all looks good? I'm mid-length gas...that's where I'm a bit concerned.

I know it's a stupid question, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks!!

ps..yes, I know the real answer is to buy a bolt gun :)

Last edited:
One of my buddies has a dpms barrel 18" 1 in 8 twist with a mid length non-adj. We shot these out of his rifle and was getting around a 6" group at 570 yards. Brass looked ok and threw in with the other hornady brass he has that I plan to reload for him. Was ejecting brass a few inches further than the other 73 eld loads we tested. Group hair under 1 moa at 100 yards. Threw a few in my 22" JP barrel and had a 3 shot group about 3/4", the regular match shoots 1/2" in both our rifles. Blackhills 77 tmk load shoots 3/8" in the JP and 1 moa in my buddies dpms barrel. Just have to test them, lots of factors that might affect if they work.

The powder used in Hornady Superformance ammunition does not create a higher peak pressure, however, because it's a progressive powder it does produce a pressure curve that has more "area under the curve." This different pressure curve does not always play nice with AR-15 gas systems shorter than a rifle-length gas system. Hornady recommends using an adjustable gas block when using a gas system that's shorter than rifle-length.

superformance_powder_03-1349028.jpg

superformance_propellent_burn_graph_01-1349026.jpg

superformance_gas_system_graph_02-1349027.jpg

The 73 grain A-MAX/ELD bullet itself is capable of decent accuracy. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a distance of 100 yards using one of my hand-loads topped with the 73 grain A-MAX. The group has an extreme spread of 0.82".

hornady_73_grain_AMAX_box_01_resized-1349024.jpg

hornady_73_grain_amax_10_shot_group_02-1349023.jpg

Major foul up on my part. I knew not to buy them, yet somehow I clicked the wrong one. Putting an adjustable gas block on for 200 rounds isn't worth it. I should sell them, make a profit today :). That said, if I ever get a supressor, then I'll have to get one...