• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Howa mini action .223.

shooter98

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
I own 3 Howa rifles and love them. I am wanting to pick up their mini action chassis in .223 but the barrel only comes in 20” length. The twist is 1:8. What do you think practical range will be with that barrel?

Well, with a 20" 9-twist R700 I popped a few prairie dogs (with Fiocchi 50gr V-max) at 450-ish running a 3-15x50 optic.

If it was me, I'd think 500-600 would be about the practical limit, but you know what they say about opinions...

I have a 16" and though its a 7 twist its still lower velocity than a 20". Im shooting 75 elds which the 8 twist should still stabilize fine and Ive gotten some hits at 1k.

I thought they were 1/9 but a change to 1/8 had been promised. They may have arrived.

Other than twist rate, my concern is COAL and magazine length.

I'm assuming the short action .223 has longer magazines, but that's an assumption which should be confimred.

Heavy bullets and short COAL don't go together.

Reactions: shooter98
I thought they were 1/9 but a change to 1/8 had been promised. They may have arrived.

Other than twist rate, my concern is COAL and magazine length.

I'm assuming the short action .223 has longer magazines, but that's an assumption which should be confimred.

Heavy bullets and short COAL don't go together.
The spec sheet my rep sent me says 1:8, so here’s to hoping right?

I shoot 77’s out of a 20 inch Lilja barrel. They transition around 900 yards in my area. Great accuracy. I personally wouldn’t want longer.

I’ve got a handful of custom mini builds going now, I can measure a magazine for you.