• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question about installing a Jewell trigger

str8razor

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2011
New Orleans, La. area
Let me see if I can describe this where it makes sense to everyone.

I just installed a Jewell trigger and everthing is working perfectly…Including the bolt release. However, I’m a little concerned about the position of the bolt release lever before and after the install. Before I installed the trigger, I noticed the bolt release mechanism on the Jewell trigger was about 1/16” longer than the X-Mark I pulled out. After I installed the Jewell, the opposite end of the bolt release lever from the pivot pin was sticking up out of the slot about 1/8” more than with the X-Mark. With the X-Mark you could still see about one half of the forward pin, but with the Jewell, it entirely covers the forward pin. I tried to take some pics, but this camera won’t focus good enough. It’s all because of the length of the two mechanisms on each trigger. With the Jewell installed, I can push down on the end of the bolt release lever and see the mechanism on the Jewell assembly flex. Is this something I should be concerned with? The only fix I can see to do is file a little bit off the end of the trigger mechanism that contacts the bolt release lever. Or, should I leave it alone as long as everything is working fine.

BTW….The Jewell is so sweet! I cannot believe the difference. It has such a clean break. I don’t have a pull gauge, so does anyone know what they come factory set to?

Thanks,

Re: Question about installing a Jewell trigger

I don't really follow on the first part but I did just put one in my Rem 5R ~ I thought it was too light from the factory so I raised the pull a bit.
I did not measure before but I did after and it is now 2 lbs 3-4oz.
Plenty light enough for me and yes it is a great trigger.

Most bolt releases differ from manfacturer to manufacturer, as long as theirs no binding issues and all works fine i'd run it. On the outside of the bag it should give you the model and set puul weight. all jewells I get in are factory set at 1lb. as defualt.

I thought it might be about 1 pound. The X-Mark I just pulled out was adjusted as low as it would go at 3.3 pounds (Not exactly the 2 pounds as per Remington's specs). My smith told me he has yet to see an X-Mark that adjusts down to 2 pounds.