• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Question about Ken Hackathorn

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Wondering if anyone knows what exactly did his military service consist of........

All I can find on line is this statement, which can be construed several different ways:
    Ken Hackathorn has served as a US Army Special Forces Small Arms Instructor, Gunsite Instructor, and NRA Police Firearms Instructor. He is currently an FBI Certified Firearms Instructor, Certified Deputy Sheriff with Washington County SO, Ohio, and a SRT member and Special Response Team trainer. Ken has trained US Military Special Operations forces, Marine FAST and SOTG units and is a contract small arms trainer to FBI SWAT and HRT.

Reactions: bab029
    Looks like his dd214 does not show he was 18 series mos. Probably because it didn’t exist during the time of his service. He has a lot of certs from JFK. I hesitate to say he was a ODA, but rather support. To be fair this is 2nd hand info. Personally, his opinions on things are far out for me to pay attention to.

Looks like his dd214 does not show he was 18 series mos. Probably because it didn’t exist during the time of his service. He has a lot of certs from JFK. I hesitate to say he was a ODA, but rather support. To be fair this is 2nd hand info. Personally, his opinions on things are far out for me to pay attention to.

So he did serve in the Army? I wonder why his bio isn't more explicit about that.

"Served as a US Army Special Forces Small Arms Instructor" could be a contract, civilian position for all I know.

I can only say that I’ve taken classes from him. I’m not worried at all what his mil credentials were.

Reactions: j-huskey
    One of Ken's three day advanced tactical pistol classes was one of the best firearms classes that I have ever taken. I thought Ken was a very good, very professional instructor. I believe that his work background prior to being a professional firearms instructor was in law enforcement, I don't know what military experience he had although he had to have some as he is of the age when the draft and mandatory service existed.

You are asking a specific question.... I'm not sure the relevancy.....

Modern Shooting- SWAT all came out of the old Cactus Combat.... When places like Gunsight were set up, they were not teaching army or marine shooting...

They wrote a new book... movement, skills, techniques...

LAPD invented SWAT... at least as I understand it.... The military came to LAPD to learn what they were doing and how it could be incorporated into the military...

Who came up with the Harries flashlight technique... a huge step up from FBI and holding the light over your head and off to the side...

I'm not sure what Ken did during his time in the military.... one definitely does not worry about that.... Ken is a certified wealth of knowledge......

--
    for a bad example.... Jim Fuller got into building and rebuilding AK's....

I don't know if he was in the service... I know what he has done with rifles.... I know he gets interviewed in Russia as an AK expert... not an american AK expert...

--

long way of asking- why do you want to know what Ken did in the military.... 50 years ago...

Reactions: j-huskey
    I don’t think he ever claimed to have served in the military, I’ve only heard him speak of his time in law enforcement.

And non of It matters, he’s a solid trainer.

Many people consider him the trainers, trainer.

As said before, he knows what he’s doing. I know he’s slowed down his training schedule so if you get the chance do it.

Just like Pat, people wish that could gotten into his class but sadly he’s gone from us.

One way to tell is who he hangs around with ...

If u still in contact and in good with Larry Vickers, he could possibly answer past history on KH. If u were inclined to ask and he was inclined to answer.

You are asking a specific question.... I'm not sure the relevancy.....

Modern Shooting- SWAT all came out of the old Cactus Combat.... When places like Gunsight were set up, they were not teaching army or marine shooting...

They wrote a new book... movement, skills, techniques...

LAPD invented SWAT... at least as I understand it.... The military came to LAPD to learn what they were doing and how it could be incorporated into the military...

Who came up with the Harries flashlight technique... a huge step up from FBI and holding the light over your head and off to the side...

I'm not sure what Ken did during his time in the military.... one definitely does not worry about that.... Ken is a certified wealth of knowledge......

--
    for a bad example.... Jim Fuller got into building and rebuilding AK's....

I don't know if he was in the service... I know what he has done with rifles.... I know he gets interviewed in Russia as an AK expert... not an american AK expert...

--

long way of asking- why do you want to know what Ken did in the military.... 50 years ago...

SWAT was John Nelson's baby, but Darryl Gates got credit. Gates gave Nelson his just due in Gates book "Chief:.
    Nelson was a RVN vet, very respected. 65 Watts riots were the catalyst. The rest is recorded history.

One way to tell is who he hangs around with ...
    Good enough for LAV, more than good enough for me.

There are excellent instructors out there with very high end .mil creds, like LAV, and there are some with very similar creds who suck as instructors and are complete douches. There are also some that had no . mil creds that could shoot and teach like a mofo. One of the best I took a class from is now a pacifist who no longer teaches, which is a damn shame. The pistol gringolero was a hell of an instructor.

And as someone above mentioned, take a class before it is too late. I was lucky to take a couple of Pat Rogers classes. You can tell the alumni right away as soon as the first unseated, loaded mag hits the ground, by who yells, "MOOSE COCK".

Last edited:
    Reactions: opeagle