• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Magpul PRS Gen 3 buffer tube lengths

Automag88

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2022
The Range
Im building an AR15 platform rifle in 6mm ARC and am planning to install a PRS GEN 3 stock on it. My question is whether there is any advantage to running a rifle length buffer tube over a carbine length? I will be running a JP silent captured spring H2 buffer.
I haven’t decided on a BCG yet but so far I have picked up or am waiting on the JP buffer, Ballistic Advantage stainless 24” 6 ARC barrel, Superlative Adjustable gas block, and a rifle length gas tube. Lower is a PSA I picked up a while back.
Thanks for any input

I don't see how there would be any advantage. If you run the rifle length receiver extension then you use the supplied spacer and if you run a carbine length RE then you don't, performance wise I imagine they'd be the same.

There is no difference between a rifle length buffer tube or a carbine length with the PRSGE3 it’s just a matter of which spacer you put in there to secure it. Length of pool is the same either way because that’s determined by the charging handle

Pie r squared
giphy (3).gif

• Haha
Reactions: Clayman
If you were running a regular buffer/spring there would be a difference, but if you're running the JP SCS it doesn't matter what buffer length you run because anything longer than a carbine buffer just uses a carbine length SCS and requires you to eat up dead space in the tube with a spacer.

Reactions: Automag88
Im building an AR15 platform rifle in 6mm ARC and am planning to install a PRS GEN 3 stock on it. My question is whether there is any advantage to running a rifle length buffer tube over a carbine length? I will be running a JP silent captured spring H2 buffer.
I haven’t decided on a BCG yet but so far I have picked up or am waiting on the JP buffer, Ballistic Advantage stainless 24” 6 ARC barrel, Superlative Adjustable gas block, and a rifle length gas tube. Lower is a PSA I picked up a while back.
Thanks for any input
no difference other than the adapter, i have them attached both ways and its basically indistinguishable

If you were running a regular buffer/spring there would be a difference, but if you're running the JP SCS it doesn't matter what buffer length you run because anything longer than a carbine buffer just uses a carbine length SCS and requires you to eat up dead space in the tube with a spacer.
I run the plain jane mil spec stuff with fixed gas blocks, and of the 13 builds from 7.5" 300AAC to 24" 204, 224 Valkyrie to to 308 LRs i have never ever ever had a feed issue. The more complicated you make them with shiny packages and big promises , along with the bizarre need for some to make sure every single friggin part is from a different company, add 5 pounds of "I think I'm a SWAT member" and you become a fixture of every forum asking that dirty question "Why won't my AR Cycle" then spend endless posting and searching to end up with a paperweight. Keep it simple and know its purpose. If you're going for long range you don't install 16" light profile barrels, 16" std production barrels are for the i wanna pretend its an M4. and even then, the M4 is 14.5", The 16 was pure marketing as that is what they were going for.. if its for the home, short 300aac, or 11.5 77gr 5.56, for target 20-24" and Full Bull profile, take any light barreled are to the range, and after 6-8 shots its toast, and you won't hit a 100 yards. cool 20-30 and magically it comes back. 20-24" Bull, and you shoot all day, that said however aside from making a CQC clone for fun, take the 5.56 and burn it, try 224 valkyrie, all the feel of a regular AR15 , but with 20" barrel or greater, it reach out 1300 yards. or for simply the fun of a suppressor, 300aac is the ticket although subsonic ammo is useless, just try almost 17" of drop at a 100 yards, and if you can even make the shot to 300-400 it hits about as hard as some being bitch slapped,

Thanks for any input
I like everything but the need for the fancy buffer and the adjustable block. I've tried them and didn't notice anything, nor did it improve nor decrease accuracy. and of the 13 various 15s and 2 LR308s all are fixed blocks and milspec buffer/spring and magically i never had to post the why wont it feed, lock back, pickup rounds and so on along with 700 others with the same issue. By the way that is a Bull profile yes? for the what your building just run the rifle buffer because its simpler and you will never be using a collapsible on that gun ever. so much simpler design with rifle tube

I run the plain jane mil spec stuff with fixed gas blocks, and of the 13 builds from 7.5" 300AAC to 24" 204, 224 Valkyrie to to 308 LRs i have never ever ever had a feed issue. The more complicated you make them with shiny packages and big promises , along with the bizarre need for some to make sure every single friggin part is from a different company, add 5 pounds of "I think I'm a SWAT member" and you become a fixture of every forum asking that dirty question "Why won't my AR Cycle" then spend endless posting and searching to end up with a paperweight. Keep it simple and know its purpose. If you're going for long range you don't install 16" light profile barrels, 16" std production barrels are for the i wanna pretend its an M4. and even then, the M4 is 14.5", The 16 was pure marketing as that is what they were going for.. if its for the home, short 300aac, or 11.5 77gr 5.56, for target 20-24" and Full Bull profile, take any light barreled are to the range, and after 6-8 shots its toast, and you won't hit a 100 yards. cool 20-30 and magically it comes back. 20-24" Bull, and you shoot all day, that said however aside from making a CQC clone for fun, take the 5.56 and burn it, try 224 valkyrie, all the feel of a regular AR15 , but with 20" barrel or greater, it reach out 1300 yards. or for simply the fun of a suppressor, 300aac is the ticket although subsonic ammo is useless, just try almost 17" of drop at a 100 yards, and if you can even make the shot to 300-400 it hits about as hard as some being bitch slapped,
He was asking if two parts fit together. I provided the technical answer.

Reactions: TheyCallMe64
We all would have been better off if you offered nothing.

He was asking if two parts fit together. I provided the technical answer.
I answered the question too. The were simply suggestions, and when he seemed to be less experienced, and nearly everyone that has a problem after a build usually stems from getting too caught up in fancy buffers, gas blocks etc. and if you're building anything with a 24" barrel its assumed you're doing it for long range. on a new build you would not choose a carbine tube over a rife, unless the lower already had it. Fortunately the PRS works with both. Also 6mm ARC is kind of an odd selection, its expensive, not widely available, and will waste the barrel in 2500 rounds. 224 Valkyrie does the same job with cheaper ammo, and 8000 round barrel life. Posting a few options some like those that don't mock everyone. The real question is why this forum is filled with users that have never posted any comment relating guns?

The rifle length setup looks better since there's no castle nut. Otherwise, either will work.

Also 6mm ARC is kind of an odd selection, its expensive, not widely available, and will waste the barrel in 2500 rounds. 224 Valkyrie does the same job with cheaper ammo, and 8000 round barrel life.
Dang, I've been hoping someone like you would shoot them both out and provide us with some quantifiable data. Thanks!

The rifle length setup looks better since there's no castle nut. Otherwise, either will work.
Thank you sir! I know either will work I just didn’t know if there was any advantage to the longer tube. This seems like an advantage to me. Appreciate the heads up!

I answered the question too. The were simply suggestions, and when he seemed to be less experienced, and nearly everyone that has a problem after a build usually stems from getting too caught up in fancy buffers, gas blocks etc. and if you're building anything with a 24" barrel its assumed you're doing it for long range. on a new build you would not choose a carbine tube over a rife, unless the lower already had it. Fortunately the PRS works with both. Also 6mm ARC is kind of an odd selection, its expensive, not widely available, and will waste the barrel in 2500 rounds. 224 Valkyrie does the same job with cheaper ammo, and 8000 round barrel life. Posting a few options some like those that don't mock everyone. The real question is why this forum is filled with users that have never posted any comment relating guns?
Not really less experienced in ARs just with the Magpul PRS stock. 6 ARC is actually easy for me to find as well as 108 grain ELD match bullets and I have dies to load so that’s not an issue. And yes the 24” barrel is for me to try to push this round out as far as I can (because I want to) as well as potentially shoot PRS style matches with it.
I got the JP buffer system because I pulled a couple of certs off a prize table and used them for that, plus the JP SCS is fricken smooth and quiet. I’m running the adjustable gas block because I want to be able to tune this rifle as much as I can to eliminate felt recoil so I can see my impacts and more importantly my misses so I can correct for my next shot.
Just because somebody asks a question doesn’t mean they are totally new to something, they may just be trying to get an answer about a particular thing they don’t know about and don’t need somebody to assume they don’t know anything and then proceed to essentially tell them that what they are doing is pointless.
But thanks for all the input!

Not really less experienced in ARs just with the Magpul PRS stock. 6 ARC is actually easy for me to find as well as 108 grain ELD match bullets and I have dies to load so that’s not an issue. And yes the 24” barrel is for me to try to push this round out as far as I can (because I want to) as well as potentially shoot PRS style matches with it.
I got the JP buffer system because I pulled a couple of certs off a prize table and used them for that, plus the JP SCS is fricken smooth and quiet. I’m running the adjustable gas block because I want to be able to tune this rifle as much as I can to eliminate felt recoil so I can see my impacts and more importantly my misses so I can correct for my next shot.
Just because somebody asks a question doesn’t mean they are totally new to something, they may just be trying to get an answer about a particular thing they don’t know about and don’t need somebody to assume they don’t know anything and then proceed to essentially tell them that what they are doing is pointless.
But thanks for all the input!

No problem I wasn’t trying to Be disrespectful or insulting, it’s just what I hear people ask about the buffer type questions It usually turns into a another post, about feeding issues. I actually had only one, and that was with A factory new DPMS, 308 and one of being a simple as the rough spot on the bolt and the need for a lot of oil.

And the only reason I mentioned the caliber is just that it’s expensive and not as really available at the 224 And since it just seemed like you were looking to shoot out far it would do the same job but I myself have some oddball calibers And after a point having to hear about another 16 inch barreled carbine it gets old, and 24 inch is definitely the way to go, except of course no one not to you about it in your post when I talk about anything over 18 or 20 inches I got to take shit, oh and lastly I use palmetto stuff, And when I meant budget what I was really trying to say is that it didn’t appear as though you were trying to build some high dollar wallet drainer. Anyway good luck with it and at least with It. Take care