• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

question about modding a Tikka T3...

Joe S.

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2010
Central MS
I want to build a bolt gun that I can take to the range and shoot all day comfortably, could take some relatively (for me) long range shots (+/-400 yds) with, and one that would make a good coyote hunter.

Plan was to start with a Remington 700 action and go from there. Was planning on 22-250 for the caliber with a heavy barrel, aftermarket stock, and muzzle break.

Yesterday I was offered a Tikka T3 hunter in 25-06 on trade for a pistol I'm selling and it has got me to thinking. Don't know much about them other than they are made (?)/ imported (?) by berreta and have a sako (?) action on them.

I like what I've read about Sakos so i am interested.

But I'm wondering about the 25-06 caliber. If its as suited, or more, for what I want.

Also is the Tikka as good of an action as the model 700? Can I get barrels? Aftermarket stocks?

If anyone has modded one of these rifles, please chime in with specs. Pics would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Re: question about modding a Tikka T3...

The Tikka T3 is the bastard stepchild of Sako.
wink.gif
The Sakos of old are truly fine firearms. The Tikka is a basic, no frills, lightweight hunting rifle. But that's not a knock, because it's very good for what it was designed.

The barrels are made in the Sako facility from what I've been told by the Beretta rep. The actions are unique to the T3, but are very true from the factory, unlike the Remington 700. In addition, it is much stronger, while being a little lighter, due to it's bridged receiver design.

There is a Tikka T3 Aftermarket thread here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323704

A lot of companies are coming on-line with aftermarket support for this rifle and at least two companies are making DBM for it (or close to it, finally!!!)

The 25-06 has a very loyal following and is a flat shooting, hard hitting round that's hard to beat for most game in North America, while being light enough to still be considered a varmint round.

My T3 started life as a stock T3 Lite SS 300WM, but I really wanted a platform that could hone my LR skills and specifically UKD.

I replaced the barrel with a heavier profile and had a R700 recoil lug installed at the same time to address Tikka's very poor recoil lug design. I pillar bedded both stocks (OEM and Manners T4) and the package is capable of shooting far better than I. I've managed to put 3 hits of 3 on steel at 1300 yds so far, but the groups are not small. Still working on that.

A couple pics:

IMG_6803-2.jpg

IMG_6806-2.jpg

In it's current configuration, I can easily shoot all day comfortably (I did put 80 rds. downrange in one session when it was stock, had no brake and weighed 8 lbs. w/ scope. I had a hard time lifting my arm the next day.
grin.gif
) The Manners T4 is such an improvement over the OEM stock that I cannot begin to put into words. I understand McMillan is now inletting for these as well.

These rifles tend to be insanely accurate out of the box and I believe represent one of the best values in a starter rifle. Purists will disagree, but I've always had to march to the beat of the oddball drum

John

The action on Tikka's are the smoothest I've felt for a factory gun.

Berger makes 115gr vld's in .25. I think the BC is a .479 or .489. That makes for a good flat shooting round.

No contest. Get the Tikka. CDI precision is making a DBM for it and you can get the aftermarket stocks as stated above. It is definitely a superior weapon IMHO.

Josh

i agree
i have one of each
tikka is a much more refined action, and the aftermarket components are now starting to come online so there its really a no brainer.