• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question about NF 5.5-22x56

19dsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Fort Hood Texas
Im a little confused about this...
I removed my NF 5.5-22x56 from my M24. The M24 has a 20 moa base.
I put that same NF on my Rem 700 5R in .300wm. with a 20 moa NF base.
Previously my scope was zeroed at 100 yds. for .308 at 2600 fps. putting the knob at the 3 ring on the elevation turret for zero.

When the same NF was moved over to the .300wm I had to go up to the 4th ring to even get it close to zero...
Why would i have to bring the crosshairs UP to the 4th ring when the 300wm load is at 3300fps and a much flatter shooting round? I would think that with it being a flatter shooting round that i would have to go down to somewhere on the second ring... not up to the 4th

Any suggestions?

Re: Question about NF 5.5-22x56

Maybe the base you have on the 308 is not 20moa, the slot you used on the 300 is towards the front and not the back, and there are other gunsmith things that can affect this.

Mike @ CS TACTICAL.com

I used the same rings as they were already lapped.. I also placed them on the same slot (second from rear) as i wanted to ensure that i would have the same eye relief.. So is this anything to worry about? or is this somewhat normal? I have never needed to swap scopes from one rifle to another, so i have never ran into this before... I just dont have enough $ just yet for a new scope... I just thought it was really odd that it wouldnt be opposite...

I have the same scope mounted on a Rem 5R in 308 with a 20moa base. I noticed that I had to raise the elevation more than I thought I would for a 100 yrd zero (not sure which ring off the top of my head). There has to be a thousand variables here, but I was hoping to have more elevation to work with after zero.