• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about POI shift

EchoDeltaSierra

Slightly above average
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
I was at the range today with a new rifle and testing a few different varieties of ammo shooting at the 1" dot-drill target. What I was most surprised with was my first 20 rounds were 168 gr. HPBT PPU match grade, I then switched to Federal Match Grade in 168 and 175 gr. My first two shots of Federal had almost a 1/2 mil shift in point of impact. It was easy to adjust the scope and shoot the next 18 rounds accurately (or should I say accurately enough, when I did my part). I was surprised to see a shift that significant. Have others experienced that?

Thanks.

Short answer, yes.
many variables between ammo types.
Other than gathering data, best not to switch ammo type until all of that lot/supply is expended, then switch brand/lot and re-zero. Hopefully you didn't pass up an opportunity to log the POI changes from brand X to brand Y...that's useful info.

Short answer, yes.
many variables between ammo types.
Other than gathering data, best not to switch ammo type until all of that lot/supply is expended, then switch brand/lot and re-zero. Hopefully you didn't pass up an opportunity to log the POI changes from brand X to brand Y...that's useful info.

Totally logged that stuff. To break in the gun, I've been running a variety of ammo through it and observing / recording the results. Fascinating experimentation.

.5 mil which way?

The shots moved .5 to the left. I fired the first round, looked, laughed at how bad I just sucked at that shot, then shot again and produced an identical result. I adjusted my optic and shot the next 18 rounds on target.

Stuff like this makes me really appreciate the H59 reticle I was talked into. ;)