• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question About Primers

Blue3Bravo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
PA
Hi all (1st post)

I just ordered my first reloading setup yesterday (Dillon RL 550B) and I’m trying to put together a component order to get started. I see Federal 210m & CCI BR2 primers recommended the most but haven’t found them actually in stock anywhere available for purchase. (I guess I’m a bit late to this shortage thing I’m reading a bit about). Anyway I just wanted to ask; if anyone knows where I could place an order for these items or can recommend a different brand as a substitute?

I wouldn’t mind ordering in bulk if I couldn’t find the recommended brands somewhere but my immediate needs are just to get up & running with enough ammo to get me through the month (down to about 200 rounds left in my stash) and I think the wife would shoot me herself if I order any more match ammo after just making the Dillon purchase.

~Thanks in advance

Re: Question About Primers

Thanks for the quick response DBohn.

I'll start with the Wolf until i'm able to find the federal or CCI (i'm a brand name/recommendation junkie)

Ok if I can ask another question on a different subject without needing to start yet another thread. I want to place the order for primers & powder together so I dont have to be home for 2 seperate deliveries. I see different sizes available but have no clue how many rounds they may fill. Can you give me an estimate?

Powder Valley will put powder and primers under the same Hazmat charge but some places don't so make sure about that first before you order.

As for the amount I don't know what you're loading so all I can tell you is that there is 7000 grains in a pound and let you do the math.

You will have to look in your reloading manuals to see which primers for each cartridge. If you let us know what cartridges you are loading for most of us could spout off the top of our heads what primers for each.

.223 is a small rifle primer or a small magnum
.308, .30-06, .260, etc. are large rifle primers or magnum if you choose

As your post is vague are you talking about how far your powder will go?

the math isn't bad; 7000 grains in a pound, divide by how many grains of powder your load is, Ie 7000 divided by 42 equals 166 per pound.

Oh sorry about that, I'm loading (or atleast will be soon) 308's 168 grain. Just needing to make sure I order enough for about 500 rounds to start.

And thanks again

I have a dillon and I have large and small wolf primers.

I haven't used the wolf in the dillon, they've been going through my RCBS bench priming tool. Their width varies and that affects pressure needed to seat them fully. So I say to watch your primers carefully on the dillon. If it feels stiff look at the primer before you rotate the shell plate. The dillon has good mechanical power for seating so maybe it's not a problem.

It's just that I feel a lot of variance in the wolf primers during seating.

No problem and welcome aboard!

I use 41.5 grains of IMR4895 with the 168 in my M1a and I use a hotter load of RL15 in my bolt gun.

That 166 per pound should be pretty near for your calc's. RL15 comes in 5 lb jugs, and most others come in 8 lbs. So either way you'll cover 500 rounds.

You may want to see what your rifle likes before buy a big jug. Perhaps 4 or 5 types of one pounders; varget, H4895, RL15, IMR 4064, Benchmark, IMR8028, lots of options. You said dillon and their powder measures don't like long powders. For the dillon meausure try the IMR 8028 or one of the ball powders like TAC, W748, etc. Unless you're weighing every charge then you can trickle them up to weight.

Have fun!

I know that Wolf Large Pistol primers work with the Dillon 550 without any problems.

On the primer shortage thing, I used to only shoot federal 210gm primers. Years ago Bob Hart turned me on to useing standard 210, he said he toured the federal plant where they make primers or something like that but what he found out is the only diff in the 210gm and the 210 standard is a visual inspection. You can find the standard in stock easily.