• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Question about Suppressor construction for long range bolt gun

Millron

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
West Virginia
I'm in the market for another suppressor. I have several others, but I'd still consider myself a novice. This time around I'm looking for a thirty caliber suppressor for exclusive use on a precision bolt rifle set up. TBAC Ultra series seems to be the common name that comes up. I'd probably be looking at the ultra 9 as I'm not sure I'd be happy with the suppression levels of the 7. The extra length is not an issue for me. Other recommendations I've heard and read about so far are the dead air Sandman TI, Omega, Harvester, and a few others. At this point I'm leaning either toward the Thunderbeast ultra 9 or Dead Air Sandman TI. Both seem to have very good customer service from most reviews that I've read.

My main question is what it is about the construction of a suppressor that makes it more suited to precision work, all else being equal? To me, the total weight of the suppressor would be the single biggest determining factor regarding POI changes, return to zero, etc. Makes sense the heavier the can is the more harmonic issues it could cause on a lighter weight barrel. I have no issue paying more for the Thunderbeast if I'm convinced there is something about the design that makes it worth $500 more than the Sandman TI. I know it is lighter by about 4 oz in the direct thread version, but in my particular application adding four ounces to the overall package is a non issue. I know its an all titanium can versus the Sandman which is Titanium w/ stellite baffles. Gives the weight advantage to the TBAC but in theory from a durability perspective, I would think the Sandman would have the advantage.

What is different in the design that makes the suppressor more repeatable vs another with same type of mounting system (direct thread)? If its solely a weight issue, I'd think the Harvestor would technically be more repeatable since it is lighter yet?

After the mount, design, and how it's manufactured.

I can certainly see why one qd style mount may lend itself to being more repeatable or precise over another but im only interested in direct thread models, so the mount is out of the equation. Does baffle design play a part? Genuinely curious here what the difference s are in the design that lead to a more precision oriented suppressor.

Guess I'll get in line for a backorder on an Ultra 9. Appreciate your responses, now the wait begins......

Op,

I'm not sure which baffle systems are more inherent to accuracy. I was told direct thread mount is the most consistent for accuracy and also have seen this with my suppressors. I run a AAC 300-TM and Gemtech sandstorm both good cans in my opinion, some may disagree. I think the baffles roughly stay the same but its the construction and material that changes.
After reading the threads about the Q suppressors and how a taper is more accurate then a 90 degree shoulder, got me all confused.
I don't think you can go wrong with TBAC, My buddy has a few and there pretty awesome cans.

-Wints

I have an TBAC Ultra 9 QD brake mount that I use on my .308 and my 30-06 as well as my AR15. coyote rifle. After hunting season last year I parked the 30-06 until a couple a weeks ago. I used the can on the AR and the 308 for over 1000 rounds and almost a year. When I spun it on the 30-06, the zero was dead nuts where it was last season. No change at all in over 1000 rounds.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Op,

I'm not sure which baffle systems are more inherent to accuracy. I was told direct thread mount is the most consistent for accuracy and also have seen this with my suppressors. I run a AAC 300-TM and Gemtech sandstorm both good cans in my opinion, some may disagree. I think the baffles roughly stay the same but its the construction and material that changes.
After reading the threads about the Q suppressors and how a taper is more accurate then a 90 degree shoulder, got me all confused.
I don't think you can go wrong with TBAC, My buddy has a few and there pretty awesome cans.

-Wints
The thunderbeast direct threads are just the cb brakes mounted in more permanently (dont remember the method). They can be changed from one to the other for a fee.

The cb brake has a taper on it so it locks up good.
Op,

-Wints
The thunderbeast direct threads are just the cb brakes mounted in more permanently (dont remember the method). They can be changed from one to the other by sending in to thunderbeast for a fee.

The thunderbeast direct threads are just the cb brakes mounted in more permanently (dont remember the method). They can be changed from one to the other for a fee.

The thunderbeast direct threads are just the cb brakes mounted in more permanently (dont remember the method). They can be changed from one to the other by sending in to thunderbeast for a fee.

Had a conversation with folks from TBAC today. Sounds like brake mount is the way to go.

Reactions: Holliday