• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Question about the new thermal scopes?

B1BRamBob

RamBob
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2017
Olive Branch, MS
I am currently running a Armasight Zeus 640 3-24 30 hz. On my Larue 308. Very happy with it but I’m hearing friends talk about the new scopes like the Pulsar Thermion XP50 1.9-15 50m is just as good or better for hog hunting. Any thoughts yes or no on the comparison? I like the idea of something of less weight and more like a day time scope but not sure how these new type are better. I need a few more thermals so what to buy? Any help from shooters who have used both?

The Armasight Zeus 75mm 3x 640(30) was the best scope they made IMHO. And I had 2 Zeus Pro 100mm as well. The 75mm had the best image and was very accurate. So, no reason to "upgrade" it, if it is working for you.
On the Thermions, we've heard of issues from multiple sources. So I'd hold off on those until we can get more info. I'll try to call on an update today.

Last edited:
So if I had to buy low budget today, I'd look at the Pulsar Trail line. xq38/50 or xp38/50 ... those are proven in the field.

I second wigwamitus. If you have a functional Zeus 640, there is no need to 'upgrade' at this time. However I see that you are wanting to get additional scopes.

I run a Pulsar Trail XQ38. For $3,200 I don't think it can be beat. The new Thermion XM lines offer a few feature enhancements, but are on par performance wise. None of the Thermion models will offer the same clarity at equal resolution to your Zeus 640.

I had the chance to play around with the Pulsar Thermion XP50 unmounted for a day and can't compare it to the Zeus 640, but could clearly see everything with extreme detail and sharpness at the default 2x. The zoom holds fairly decent until you get to 8 or 16x, and is built extremely well. The new color palates also offer brightness and contrast adjustment which really lets you dial in the detail to the current environment. I've been able to see anything alive down to a small bird from a couple hundred yards away. Didn't expect this, but its also great for seeing the studs in your walls and electrical boxes at over 200 yards which was pretty neat. So just my take on getting to play with one for a day, sorry I haven't had the opportunity to use any others. Hope this helps.

The xp50 version of the Thermion is as crisp and sharp as anything on the market. That phenomenal 1024x768 display really takes it up a notch from the trail series. I've given many customers at my shop the Pepsi challenge(image quality) and that thermion is always at or near the top along with the halo lr. The thermion absolutely crushes the tau 2 Zeus 640 image wise.

The Armasight Zeus 75mm 3x 640(30) was the best scope they made IMHO. And I had 2 Zeus Pro 100mm as well. The 75mm had the best image and was very accurate. So, no reason to "upgrade" it, if it is working for you.
On the Thermions, we've heard of issues from multiple sources. So I'd hold off on those until we can get more info. I'll try to call on an update today.

I’ve been looking at this thermal (3-24x75mm 30Hz). My intended use being coyote hunting. Eastern Colorado with open pastures and fields. The other I’ve been looking at is the Trail XP50. I’d like to use a quick detach mount and use the thermal for both a spotter

Would you consider the Pulsar worth the extra $?

Down the road I’d like to get separate thermal scanner and maybe a radius but looking more barebones setup for now

IMHO that particular zeus was the best thermal scope Armasight made.
Whether it is "better" than another scope depends on some other factors ... including the price of each ... and you don't have to say ... but "value" is a measure include cost and benefit.

But these scopes are like 2014 technology ... they still work as well as they ever did ... but newer models like the thermions have 1024x768 displays which are a step up in terms of image. There's supposed to be someone on here doing a field test/review of the Thermion XP50. So if you can wait 2-3 weeks, you could include that data in your decision making process.