• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about trimming .308

CharlieTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Tenneseee, USA
Reloading some Winchester brass. Prior to loading I trim it to 2.005. After firing it measures 2.010. Listed maximum case length is 2.015. Do I need to trim it back down to 2.005? I have been trimming it after each firing. Am I wasting my time or is it worth it to trim each time?

Thanks for the great advise I have always received here.

Charlie

Re: Question about trimming .308

Are you trimming it before or after sizing? I only trim when my cases reach close to max length.

As long as they don't exceed max length, you can save yourself some time and go do something else more useful.

You should be fine at 2.010" if that is the measurement after sizing. Personally, I trim after every firing/resizing, back to 2.008-2.010.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insight3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you trimming it before or after sizing? I only trim when my cases reach close to max length. </div></div>

I'm trimming after sizing.

So far I've been trimming each time I size. Think I'll try skipping it after the next firing and see how it goes. I don't really mind it but if it doesn't make much of a difference, then why mess with it.

Granted, my shooting abilities are not near the point where the difference would be noticable anyway. :)
Charlie

I also trim after every firing, if the brass is different sizes wont the pressure be different?

I trim everytime only because I have a Giraud Trimmer, before I got it I didn't trim my 308 brass until it reached 2.025, then I would trim back to 2.015. Sinclair International sells a Chamber Length Gauge, it will tell you exactly what your trim length is, I gaurantee it's a lot longer that 2.005, I have a Therory, in 308 2.005 is fine, once you start shooting over bores like 260 or 243 trim length is a lot more critical, trimming back to SAAMI minimum burns the chamber lead/throat faster. I doubt very seriously 99% of the shooters here can shoot the difference in varying trim lengths.

I trim every time. I have a Giraud now but even when I didn't I still trimmed them every time.

I would trim everytime after resizing for the same brass length at 2.005"

Thus make me result with one digit in SD.

I don't trim every time: what I like to do is set my dial calipers to a specified size and use it as a go no-go gauge. Those that need it get trimmed.

There's nothing special about any 'trim to' lenght, the book's suggestion is 10 thou less than SAAMI max. Trim your's anyway you wish.

I measure them each time and trim those over 2.015.

Do Nk sizing process will increase oal of brass?