• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Unertl Scope

FredSidney

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
Jackson GA
First I want to say that I, while I have a fair knowledge on current weapon and optic systems, my detailed understanding of older systems are limited. I traded into a replica M1941 because I found the build just really cool looking and the quality of the build and the effort the previous owner put into it made it an interesting trade for me.

My question is about the scope. It is a 1 ¼ 1950 vintage Unertl. It's crystal clear and tracks perfectly. The issue is that it is 12X It's my understanding that the proper scope would be 8X . I have also be told that it's possible to change the eye piece out. Is this possible and if so does anyone know who may have one for sale? As a replica I understand that the weapon is always going to be limited in value so my other question is, Would the be any advantage in changing the scope from 12x to 8x?

Thanks for your input

12x Unertl

Back in the 70's I used the 12X 1.25" Unertl on my Reemy 700 BDL HB Varminter.Great scope for it time. I would use the scope as is since your using it on a replica. i see no advantage in changing the eye piece.

Thanks for the input. I read in another forum that I would not be able to compete in a vintage match with the 12x scope. Currently I have no plans to do so but I have shot some CMP a long time ago and did enjoy it. I sure there are a whole set of rules if I every decided to try and shoot in a match again and just the fact that this is a replica, I may not be able to use it in a competition. For now, I will just enjoy the weapon the way it is. Thanks again

8x scopes seem to bring a premium beyond their value. I do not know if that is due to the match rules or just being a better replica.

Some simply change the eyepiece nut that has the power value on it. Scoundrels!

You might give Iron Sight, Inc. a call and ask them about the conversion (918-445-2001), they may have enough parts on hand to do it.

Or maybe order a replica USMC 8x from them - the 8x WmMalcolm External Adjustment rifle scope is available for about $550.

Last edited:
If you really dont intend on shooting the vintage sniper matches Id keep your scope in one piece. The extra mag will likely help you in making small groups.

If you still have an itch for getting something closer to repro keep yours eyes peeled for a real 8X....or you could buy one of the Leatherwood 8X scopes and use it for sniper matches. The weak point of the Leatherwood scopes seems to be the mount hardware and the mounts. If you have legit Unertl mounts you are ahead of the game with the repro scope.

Note - My second suggestion assumes 12X and 8X have their mounts at the same distance to allow for proper MOA adjustments and the tube sizes are the same.

....and pictures please of this personal dream rifle.

thanks for the info

Thanks everyone for the input - here is a pic of the reproduction - Miltech did the build and the scope and mounts where refurbished by Parson's scope service.

Attachments

• m1903a1 A.jpg
    m1903a1 A.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks everyone for the input - here is a pic of the reproduction - Miltech did the build and the scope and mounts where refurbished by Parson's scope service.

Very nice. Glad Parsons worked out fir you, chatter is they are not following through since Mr Parsons passed.

The previous owner told me that this was one of the last projects that left there shop before Mr. Parson passed. The glass is crystal clear and they flipped the eye piece so that the 12x is pointed down. Thanks again for the information.

p Note - My second suggestion assumes 12X and 8X have their mounts at the same distance to allow for proper MOA adjustments and the tube sizes are the same.[/QUOTE said:
All late external scopes use a 7.2 spacing for 1/4" clicks. Longer spacing will give you finer clicks. Shorter will give you more than 1/4". Power of scope does not affect this.
As suggested, look for a 8X replica. Sell the Unertl if you need cash to pay for the 8x. Other than that, keep both. As others have said, you could swap mounts if you find the 8X version lacking.

Congrats!

I've bought a couple of rifles from Ed at Miltech and always been very happy with the service and products.

I'm lucky enough to have a contract x8 on my replica. It's a great old scope but I'd see no advantage in swapping yours out unless it was to qualify for certain comps. As others have said....stay with the extra mag.

All late external scopes use a 7.2 spacing for 1/4" clicks. Longer spacing will give you finer clicks. Shorter will give you more than 1/4". Power of scope does not affect this.

Thank you for the clarification. The external adjustement system is simple and effective but it still boggles my mind on its particulars.

Thank you for the clarification. The external adjustement system is simple and effective but it still boggles my mind on its particulars.

pmclaine - if you need anything other than the 1/4 MOA clicks, I posted a list I got from the Unertl user group on the 1903A1 thread I ran a while back. It has a number of different spacing for different click values.

pmclaine - if you need anything other than the 1/4 MOA clicks, I posted a list I got from the Unertl user group on the 1903A1 thread I ran a while back. It has a number of different spacing for different click values.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. Someday I hope to own a M1941 but right now Im busy dealing with Lazy21 and trying to get my M40A1 all together. When that day comes that I decide to convert a M1903 I hope Lazy21 will be able to pull the magic he has with getting USO to build more MST100's and he can somehow talk USO into building a replica Unertl 8X :).

Here is some guys that could answer your questions and do the work IF they still is doing that work.

Gary Fellers (817) 346-9633

Bill Ackerman (505) 589-3833

Some of the later, original USMC GI mounts were designed to provide 1/2" clicks with the 7.2" spacing.

As some other have said, the original 8X's that I have seen recently are over priced due to the CMP games matches. Last one I saw, the asking price was $1800. If you're looking for something to shoot the games match with, I'd opt for a reproduction as long as it works reasonably well, and keep your 12X in tact. I've been thinking about doing a Winchester Model 70 Vietnam era rifle build since I have a pre-64 long action that's not doing much but hanging around in the safe, where a 8x would be proper. I have an original 20x currently and I don't think it would be worth paying the going rate for an 8x to make it "proper". I'd just mount the 20 (which I paid $500 for 15 years ago) and be happy. If you're not going to compete in the games matches, who cares? And the games matches, while fun, aren't really that relevant. They're called games for a reason.

Good luck,

ET