• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question: Barreling a Tempest action utilizing a "breach ring"

emdeucee

Peasant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2013
Los Angeles
I was fortunate enough to snag one of GA Precision's 6 lug Tempest actions before OTM sold out. Upon inspecting the action, I noted the breach ring was losely floating in the receiver where the lugs would lock. My impression was that this piece was "pressed" in.

I'm wondering, how would my gunsmith barrel this action? I'd image the barrel would have to 1)thread in far enough until it contacts the breach ring to hold it from sliding forwards and 2) have a shoulder cut right where it meets the receiver face, simultaneously? I don't truely understand the concept of this breach ring and how its intended to work.

Can someone please enlighten me as my local gunsmith has never worked on this type of action with a breach ring.

As a token of my appreciation, I've attached some photos of this beautifully designed and machined Tempest action.

Attachments

• photo59813.jpg
    photo59813.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 71
  • photo59814.jpg
    photo59814.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 87
  • photo59815.jpg
    photo59815.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 75
  • photo59816.jpg
    photo59816.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 70
  • photo59859.jpg
    photo59859.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Ga should have supplied a thread print with the action (mine had one). You'll notice that its a .001 window for tenon length (.949-.950). Very easy for the smith to set the tenon length after the shoulder is cut for proper barrel indexing on the action. I did my first tempest last week. No special challenges whatsoever.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I noticed the diagram included, but didnt know how to translate it. However, it makes better sense now that you've mentioned the window. Thanks Supersubes.

whats the purpose of the ring
Not sure what the most important purpose is from a design standpoint, but it allows for easier machining, easy replacement of the receiver lugs, and the ability to create the lugs out of a different material than the receiver body. The tempest breech ring looks pretty much identical to the AI breech ring.