• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question: Driving 60k+ rounds of ammo, firearms across US with a twist

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Driving from Florida to Utah with roughly 60kish rounds of various calibers and the high-end rifles I didn't let the moving company touch. Decided to make it a road-trip (couldn't ship the ammo and I'm sure as hell not leaving it) and am renting a SUV and considering getting a UHaul trailer as well for the ammo/rifles so that they are 'locked away'. I have a FL CCW license and have checked any interstate laws for the states I will be passing through (MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ) and there does not seem to be any issues as long as everything is stowed and unloaded.

Now for 2 questions; first, what am I missing or is it really just this easy? I plan on NOT attracting attention and everything will be hidden/locked away. Secondly, my road-trip partner has a Class D felony from over 10 years ago (was a dumbass, stupid shit). While he will not be in positive control of any of the weapons/ammo during the trip (I'll obviously be there the entire time, and everything is stowed away) would this somehow be a problem? I read the guidelines and while it mentions that felons cannot possess/transport weapons, he will be in no way doing so as A. they are my weapons and I will be there 100% of the time B. he will not be in possession/contact with them at any time.

Anyone know anything about this? Would the NRA be able to answer this correctly? Was planning on calling my attorney with the question as well.

Was totally going to pour alcohol all around the inside of the car and wear a horsehead mask while driving.

Got the whole, "look over here, not in the back" thing, covered.

Thanks for the link; think there's too much grey area as to 'possession' in the same vehicle.

Looks like either I grab someone else for the trip or send the rifles via UPS ahead of time and just take the ammo with no weapons.

Got in a wreck in North Mississippi with ALL my stuff. 18 or so rifles several handguns and thousands of rounds of high power. Cop told me they were taking my truck to wrecking yard since it was most likely totaled (and was). I said no, he asked why and I showed him the back end. He was cool cop I could tell and I wasn't breaking the law in any way. He didn't say a word and didn't care and I had to sit all day at the wrecker drivers house till I could get a SUV there that could transport everything on in to Louisiana. BTW: I had my 3 pet alligators in there too, I'm not sure they liked the wreck much as they hit the windshield pretty hard. Maybe that's what turned the officer away?

Possibly locks on all cases with you personaly having control of all keys.

Id put the ammo on a pallet and ship it. Most cops are alright but you never know when you might hit a prick who wants to catch a 'terrorist'. Find another person to travel with. The felony extends to ammo as well as weapons...check the ATF regulations. He cannot be in possession or with anyone who is in possession. With today's computers his name might show up if he is driving, and even if not, should there be an accident his record might come up and you are responsible and culpable for having him along. Just a word to the wise. Other than that your not breaking any laws, drive the speed limit, and have a safe, fun trip.

Truthfully, the felon is a deal breaker for me. No way would I even take the chance of having my rigs and ammo confiscated, and myself possibly prosecuted, just so my buddy could ride along. I'd either find a new road trip buddy, go by myself, or ship everything and take him with me. Either way, I wouldn't be taking any chances with my rigs or ammo.

I agree, ditch your partner and if you don't want to ship the ammo, drive slow and steady and don't stop in unfriendly states, look them up.

Ditch the felon. All guns should be unloaded and stored away from the driver in non CCW friendly states.

Watch the trailer closely. Trailers are easy targets in hotel/motel parking lots. On my first cross US trip my trailer was broken into but they were scared them away before they could take anything.

Echo--to avoid potential issues, it would be best to separate your ammo and firearm collection/cache from a convicted felon. Some states, such as mine, have an affirmative defense to a charge of felon in possession after a certain period of time and depending on the nature of the offense. Alaska, its ten years and could not have involved a weapon or assault. However, that only clears on the state issue, not federal. While if it were just the two of you out squirrel hunting with a single 22lr, cops would likely give a little grief and cautioning, but that's it. Here, bit more weaponry and the interstate travel--local cop, if doing his job, may well consult with BATF upon learning bud is a convicted felon.

Another issue is the transportation aspect--if at any point he were to drive, he would clearly be transporting, and arguably since he has possession and control of the vehicle he would have possession and control of the trailer attached to the vehicle, and thereby, the contents. Same if he kept watch while filling up with gas and you step inside for a bathroom break and slurpie. He's clearly in possession and control.

I deal with these type of issues and many others day in and out. While you and bud might get out of any potential problem down the road with artful lawyering, it would still result in confiscation of your collection and hard earned wears, as well as charges you would have to fight and possibly your bud's freedom. So, although there may be enough gray area to avoid consequences--depending on whether dealing Feds or the particular state, you may well find yourself with a huge headache and expensive attorney bill to clear names and retrieve the guns/ammo.

All that said, lawyers need guns too, and situations like this certainly help the redneck retirement as my wife calls it.

Ditch the felon, that's just asking for a problem.

I'd replace the felon with a dog. I'm not saying that the felon isn't quite possibly a nice guy and fairly well-reformed, but still, what's the sense of risking raised eyebrows or worse if someone starts digging at a traffic stop? Besides that, he'll be more expensive to feed and won't have the bite pressure of a dog appropriate for polite "social work."

Id put the ammo on a pallet and ship it. Most cops are alright but you never know when you might hit a prick who wants to catch a 'terrorist'. Find another person to travel with. The felony extends to ammo as well as weapons...check the ATF regulations. He cannot be in possession or with anyone who is in possession. With today's computers his name might show up if he is driving, and even if not, should there be an accident his record might come up and you are responsible and culpable for having him along. Just a word to the wise. Other than that your not breaking any laws, drive the speed limit, and have a safe, fun trip.
    This is good advice, not only does the felony extend to ammo, but to the parts of ammo, bullets, cases forget primers and powder. The U.S. govt. considers even an empty case, or a lone bullet to be ammo, when dealing with a convicted felon. I've always found this to be a little problematic, as they may extend this long standing definition to everyone, thus being able to collect the fed tax on everything....just saying.

I don't know the laws for the states that you'll be traversing but generally speaking if the weapons are unloaded and separate from the ammunition then you're usually good to go, even in the most unfriendly states. Above all else lose the perp, get a different road buddy. Drive carefully and enjoy the trip.

Watch the trailer closely. Trailers are easy targets in hotel/motel parking lots.

+1 on this. Not only easy to get into, but there are those who cruise the motels/hotels looking for trailers to jack. Park it at your ground floor motel door and sleep light.

An SUV and trailer may not be able to handle that much weight. Id rent a Uhaul truck.... State Troopers do look and see how much a vehicle squats under loads. It does peak their interest when a SUV rolls by with the frame sparking on the pavement!

I would agree with everyone else that a felon (even if he's a good guy!) would not be the ideal choice for a traveling companion on this trip...
    However, it would not NECESSARILY be a problem if pulled over. But an officer with a bug up his arse COULD easily make it one for you if you wants to.... so I'd choose otherwise.

Three words: DHS.

I hear rumors they're running roadside checks looking for terrorists too. I think the palletizing/shipping idea is good. Tough choice. I envy you the move.

Alles gute.

I recently moved from Missouri to Florida and drove all of my guns/ammo down. I completely avoided Illinois and all was well. The felon you'll be riding with has me worried for you though. Good luck

Why shouldn't it be that easy? This isn't cold war Russia where you need "papers" to travel. The felon is a deal breaker for me. I have known a couple felons and as soon as I find out I try to distance myself from them.

An SUV and trailer may not be able to handle that much weight. Id rent a Uhaul truck.... State Troopers do look and see how much a vehicle squats under loads. It does peak their interest when a SUV rolls by with the frame sparking on the pavement!

Bingo^ this is was gonna be my post exactly. I'm a truck driver and I've seen many over loaded "4wheelers" pulled over by DOT simply showing interest in axle weight over loads. This DOES happen, then attaching a trailer you get into a whole nother aspect of combination vehicle. Make sure your total gross weight does nt exceed 26001 pounds. It's not hard to get to a weight that requires a cdl with a 3/4 Burban and a big trailer. Good luck.

I'd replace the felon with a dog. I'm not saying that the felon isn't quite possibly a nice guy and fairly well-reformed, but still, what's the sense of risking raised eyebrows or worse if someone starts digging at a traffic stop? Besides that, he'll be more expensive to feed and won't have the bite pressure of a dog appropriate for polite "social work."

Make sure it's not a Pitbull, they're as evil as all black rifles.

From an LE perspective: I agree with all telling you to find a new partner. That is a massive grey area and falls well into discretion. Discretion can be a dangerous thing when your life hangs in the balance. Some guys would use it, some guys might not.

Something else to keep in mind is the US Border Patrol check stations. Based on the state's you mentioned I am guessing you will be traveling on Interstate 10. Border Patrol has westbound check stations near Deming New Mexico and near Tucson Arizona. Eastbound near Sierra Blanca Texas. They usually just ask if you are a US citizen and where you are coming to and from. A uhaul almosts begs for an open up and let us check. Especially if you have Florida plates as lots of drugs come out of Florida. Not sure of the legality of transport for your stuff but it could be cause for a license check on their computer. The felon rider could be a huge red flag for them and cause you major delay as they take apart your car. I've gone through these check stations literally hundreds of times over the years on hunting and backpacking trips to AZ, UT, and CO. Was really suprised on one trip when this beat up cheech and chong looking van was in front of us and I figured we would be waiting along time while they checked these weirdos out. Turned out they just waved them through and ended up hassling me and my friend instead. Go figure. Best of luck on your cross country oddysey.

If you let the felon drive at all, he,is transporting, and you are facilitating a felon in interstate transportation of ammo and weapons. All of your stuff could reasonably be seized as evidence while they prosecute either or both of you. And you risk having it all forfeited by a court order following any conviction.

I wouldn't risk it at all. YMMV.