• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question for a gunsmith

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
6755EA7A-A2B8-4ADB-B417-E8D9C672AE75.jpeg

I am considering a project which entails reboring a 308 to 458 socom. I know case diameter wise, it’s a go. But the length of case is where I’m hung up. It looks like the case body/neck junction measures .4539” which next to the 458 socom case, it lines up with the mouth of the 458 socom (.458”) so it should work, I think? Currently waiting on a call back from Jesse at JES reboring so I will have a definite answer by then. But until them, I’m curious. Looking for anymore more competent in comprehending this than myself.

Reboring will cost you as much, OR MORE than just buying a new barrel and rebarreling the rifle. And often-times, the aftermarket barrel will be of substantially better quality than the factory barrel you are trying to rebore. Typically reboring is only used for antique and outdated weapons chambered for old outdated cartridges that ammo and reloading components are NOT readily available for, or nearly impossible to find. People will rebore it to something modern, so they can still use/shoot/enjoy the rifle.

If this is a modern bolt-action or an AR platform rifle, I highly recommend just buying an aftermarket barrel blank, and having a gunsmith rebuild the rifle how you want. A good gunsmith can even make the rifle look like an antiqued or original blue finish and make it appear to be original on the outside. Just something to think about.

Reboring will cost you as much, OR MORE than just buying a new barrel and rebarreling the rifle. And often-times, the aftermarket barrel will be of substantially better quality than the factory barrel you are trying to rebore. Typically reboring is only used for antique and outdated weapons chambered for old outdated cartridges that ammo and reloading components are NOT readily available for, or nearly impossible to find. People will rebore it to something modern, so they can still use/shoot/enjoy the rifle.

If this is a modern bolt-action or an AR platform rifle, I highly recommend just buying an aftermarket barrel blank, and having a gunsmith rebuild the rifle how you want. A good gunsmith can even make the rifle look like an antiqued or original blue finish and make it appear to be original on the outside. Just something to think about.

I second absolutely everything he said.

This is a perfect final answer to the OP.

I appreciate it but in this case, reboring will be about $1200 cheaper than having a new barrel made. That’s assuming JES can do it. The accuracy reports from everything I’ve read has been stellar. It should be noted that with this 458 socom, 1 moa is all I’m looking to get. Which is probably some of the worst reports I’ve seen so far from the work Jesse has done. Many are sub moa.

I appreciate it but in this case, reboring will be about $1200 cheaper than having a new barrel made. That’s assuming JES can do it. The accuracy reports from everything I’ve read has been stellar. It should be noted that with this 458 socom, 1 moa is all I’m looking to get. Which is probably some of the worst reports I’ve seen so far from the work Jesse has done. Many are sub moa.
Look, I've built a pile of custom rifles... And maybe something is getting lost in translation since you seem to be very vague about details of your build, and I don't know who told/quoted you that, but those kind of numbers are not even logical... Borderline bending you over a barrel with no lube.

You buy a stainless steel .458 barrel blank (or a complete ready to drop-in AR barrel) for $300-400, and have it chambered for .458 SOCOM, and threaded and headspaced for your action. You should be in it for around $500-600 TOTAL, if the smith already has the reamer. That will be HALF of what you claim the difference in price will be.

Look, I've built a pile of custom rifles... And I don't know who told/quoted you that, but those kind of numbers are not even logical... Borderline bending you over a barrel with no lube.

You buy a stainless steel .458 barrel blank for $300-400, and have it chambered for .458 SOCOM, and threaded and headspaced for your action. You should be in it for around $500-600 TOTAL, if the smith already has the reamer. That will be HALF of what you claim the difference in price will be.
I was hoping my post didn’t come to this, as the debate on price wasn’t my question. I was just asking if it was possible. But I’ll give my back story to clear the air because at this point I don’t want to sound like a total idiot and I want my post to possibly help benefit me rather than roast me.

I have a DT SRS and reaching out to SAC, a 458 socom barrel would run $1450. I have a 338 federal barrel which dimensions wise, is the same as a 308 which is why I posted a 308 next to a 458 socom (not my picture, so that’s the reason I don’t have a 338 next to a 458 socom). So knowing a 338 federal barrel is likely not a hot commodity in the DT platform, I thought rechambering/reboring it to 458 socom would give me a fun toy to play with.

I already have the other long range cartridges I need so this is a pure fun toy. That and I already cast and powder coat .459 bullets. JES Reboring will rebore and rechamber for $250 assuming he shoots me his standard rate. He may not be popular on the hide but a google search and some FB groups show exceptional accuracy and positive reviews from him. And like I said, 1moa is all I’m after. And I haven’t see a single report of his work that points to that not being easily achievable.

Like I said though, my post wasn’t to debate whether it’s financially feasible or whether it’ll be accurate etc, just whether it’s possible. I suppose at this point I’ll just wait for a call back and get my answer from him.

Reactions: Dragoon300
I was hoping my post didn’t come to this, as the debate on price wasn’t my question. I was just asking if it was possible. But I’ll give my back story to clear the air because at this point I don’t want to sound like a total idiot and I want my post to possibly help benefit me rather than roast me.

I have a DT SRS and reaching out to SAC, a 458 socom barrel would run $1450. I have a 338 federal barrel which dimensions wise, is the same as a 308 which is why I posted a 308 next to a 458 socom (not my picture, so that’s the reason I don’t have a 338 next to a 458 socom). So knowing a 338 federal barrel is likely not a hot commodity in the DT platform, I thought rechambering/reboring it to 458 socom would give me a fun toy to play with.

I already have the other long range cartridges I need so this is a pure fun toy. That and I already cast and powder coat .459 bullets. JES Reboring will rebore and rechamber for $250 assuming he shoots me his standard rate. He may not be popular on the hide but a google search and some FB groups show exceptional accuracy and positive reviews from him. And like I said, 1moa is all I’m after. And I haven’t see a single report of his work that points to that not being easily achievable.

Like I said though, my post wasn’t to debate whether it’s financially feasible or whether it’ll be accurate etc, just whether it’s possible. I suppose at this point I’ll just wait for a call back and get my answer from him.
This is why posting proper information on the internet is important... Had you mentioned what type of rifle, and for what purposes, all of this could have been avoided. Next time you ask as question, i'd recommend giving the proper information to assess and form a conclusion to give a proper answer. 👍🏼

As to whether it's possible, you'll have to break out the calipers and find out. If the .458 SOCOM projectile is wider than the .308 Win case is at it's widest point, then I assume you could bore it and still be able to chamber it without having to do any cleanup work by cutting the threads back on the new barrel. If the .308 Win is wider, then you would be better off starting from scratch or spending $1,450 on one that is already worked and ready to drop in.

Last edited:
o_OGold plated?

Cheers
Apparently.
This is why posting proper information on the internet is important... Had you mentioned what type of rifle, and for what purposes, all of this could have been avoided. Next time you ask as question, i'd recommend giving the proper information to assess and form a conclusion to give a proper answer. 👍🏼
Although I don’t totally disagree, but the cost of rebarreling is still irrelevant to whether the case dimensions of 338 federal to 458 socom allow what I’m wanting to do. Still, at least you were willing to step in if I was truly getting ripped off on price so I appreciate that.

As to whether it's possible, you'll have to break out the calipers and find out. If the .458 SOCOM projectile is wider than the .308 Win case is at it's widest point, then I assume you could bore it and still be able to chamber it without having to do any cleanup work by cutting the threads back on the new barrel. If the .308 Win is wider, then you would be better off starting from scratch or spending $1,450 on one that is already worked and ready to drop in.
Good info, casing specs show the .458 is wider in all dimensions so I believe that shouldn’t be an issue. Thanks for the tips. I think width wise, it shouldn’t be an issue.

So what is it about the barrel breech design that makes it so expensive?
It’s DT
Custom profile with a long shank and I’d imagine that shank needs to be machined concentric to the chamber and bore at that area.
I also think there is a locating feature you have to locate precisely.
That’s certainly extra work beyond your average shouldered barrel with common profiles.

Last edited:
It’s DT
Custom profile with a long shank and I’d imagine that shank needs to be machined concentric to the chamber and bore at that area.
I also think there is a locating feature you have to locate precisely.
That’s certainly extra work beyond your average shouldered barrel with common profiles.
On top of that, a $300 barrel extension added to the cost.

On top of that, a $300 barrel extension added to the cost.
Let me know how it works out, I am an SRS fan and it sounds kind of fun and different. It will be interesting to to hear about the re‐bore and rifling job too.

Let me know how it works out, I am an SRS fan and it sounds kind of fun and different. It will be interesting to to hear about the re‐bore and rifling job too.
Will do. Waiting on a call back still. I’m unsure whether he will do work on an SRS or not. I called on a Saturday and in the past he’s taken a day or two to call back. At this point, I’ll take the gamble and be the guinea pig on this assuming he will do the work.

Will do. Waiting on a call back still. I’m unsure whether he will do work on an SRS or not. I called on a Saturday and in the past he’s taken a day or two to call back. At this point, I’ll take the gamble and be the guinea pig on this assuming he will do the work.
From the barrel work that I have done on them they are easier to work with than most others because of the longer straight shank that can be chucked on and more rigidity, he should be able to do it without a problem.

Reactions: bmicek
As a 'smith.... Ive built a few. 308 will work as a donor bolt face. You may potentially need to open up the internal feed lips to accept a WSM / SAUM style case, as on howa, rem700, few others. For after market rem700 footprint actions, many will not require such a mod, so does depend.

If you are using detatchable magazines, wsm again is a good choice, or potentially ar15 mags as thats what they were designed for. 30 round AR mag fits 10 rounds of socom.

The interaction of the bolt face to the rim is critical, as is the feed lip dimensions. They are VERY fussy to get to feed properly if you dont know about feeding dynamics and geometry.

14 twist works fine, however for heavy subs only, maybe a 10 or 12 twist. Ive done 720gr @990fps on 14t, so best look into that. Teppo-jutso designed it as 14t and subsonic.

Ejection off the bolt face can be a son of a bitch if you dont know about it. It will jam or pinch on the bolt face and the extractor wont want to let go. You need to relieve the bolt nose or the extractor itself, depending what type of extractor you have.

Look into 450 bushmaster. Factory ammo, plenty of components, factory offered guns, feeds find, hand loads can mirror the socom.