• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question for GAP M40A3 or A5 owners

Rhongman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
SoCal
Or anyone who might know the answer. I'm about to pull the trigger on an M40A5 build. Does anyone here know if the S&B scope that GAP offers as an option is an M8541? Or is it the civilian version that I can purchase from one of our Hide sponsors?
Also, would there be any reason the rifle would not be considered spec if I sent them my LTR for the action? Thanks in advance.

I know that Ken can answer my questions, but I won't have a chance to call them for a few days, so in the meantime I hope that you all can.

Re: Question for GAP M40A3 or A5 owners

I could be wrong and it would be best to get your answers when you can speak to someone at the shop. But, if there are any parts that are not part of the "military specifications" then I would think that your rifle would be out of "spec".

As for the scope, I think they'll mount anything you want on there. If you're asking can they get something marked "DOD" or USMC, my guess would be probably not.

Not sure if S&B sells the 3-12x50 USMC day scope to civilians. I think the only difference between that and the regular 3-12 PM II is in the turrets.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I don't own either of the aforementioned rifles.

My guess would be that your LTR will not have the correct serial number to be considered "in spec".

I have a GAP M40A3 on return stock and my scope is a S&B 3-12x50 Gen. 2 Mil-dot, MTC. It does not have the 8541 markings on it, but it is the same scope just does not have the military markings. You may be able to find one on a rare occasion on the hide for sale, but you will pay dearly for it. There is actually one for sale on a rifle in the for sale section now. Just depends on how nostalgic you really want to be. JAA

Thanks for the responses. Spoke to Ken and found out that they're civilian versions, which I suspected but just had to ask. As for the serial numbers, I thought the 6 digit serial numbers were more an issue for M40 and M40A1 builds.

Sniper52 - How long have you had your S&B? I'm probably going to get the same scope but apparently they don't offer the Gen2 Mil-dot anymore. Only on the Premier optics now.

I have a GAP M40A3 rifle and I put the S&B 3-12X 50 PMII “Military” scope on it. This scope has the P4F reticle. The Premiere Gen II reticle is no longer available. Everything else on the scope, except for markings and reticle, is identical to the USMC version. Personally I am extremely satisfied with this set up..

the reticle and knobs are the only difference. Your LTR will have an incorrect serial number as most of the 40a3s and 40a5s are 40a1s that have been reworked the way I understand it

I have had mine for about 6 Months, I was lucky enough to pic it up with the rifle. I have two others one that I also picked up on the hide about a year ago. One is going on a M40A5 specish build and one on my 338LM. I love this scope and the Gen 2 Mil-dot is the best reticle that I have used. Simple and it works. JAA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the reticle and knobs are the only difference. Your LTR will have an incorrect serial number as most of the 40a3s and 40a5s are 40a1s that have been reworked the way I understand it </div></div>

IIRC, Some early M40A3s were re-worked M40A1s, but have long since started using new actions. For some reason "G" prefixed actions stand out in my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did they just stockpile the old A1s? </div></div>

They reused alot of the barreled actions from the A1's on the A3's, and were rebarreled with the Schneider barrels if they needed it.

Serial # does not matter, noone has a correct serial # M40A3 or A5 as that would require stealing an action from the USMC. So an E or G Prefix is correct for an M40A3 any of them will do

Schmidt and Bender does not make the scec scope, the spec scope was sent by S&B to Premier who added their recicle and all the markings. So the S&B 3-12x50 with the MTC knobs is the closeset you can get and the reticle would be the only thing wrong. The scopes sold comercialy have never been marked correctly even the few floating arround that say 8541 are not correct as to be correct they need the 8541 markings and the NSN and laser inventory markings. None of those have ever been sold EVER!!!!

Well the 3-12x50 is pretty close. It looks by this add that there were scopes that the USMC used that didn't get the Premier upgrade.
http://www.schmidtbender.com/marines.htm
My understanding is that the contract required the optic to be made in the US so SB partnered with Premier and did the work you listed. This is my understanding and most likely is partially correct (meaning partially incorrect as well) due to I wasn't there when this happened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blakheaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the 3-12x50 is pretty close. It looks by this add that there were scopes that the USMC used that didn't get the Premier upgrade.
http://www.schmidtbender.com/marines.htm
My understanding is that the contract required the optic to be made in the US so SB partnered with Premier and did the work you listed. This is my understanding and most likely is partially correct (meaning partially incorrect as well) due to I wasn't there when this happened. </div></div>

The link above is old thats not even the correct Scope. The MTC Knobs were added 6 monthes into the contract.

Thanks George for answering that question for me. I just seen on the eye piece USMC and thought it was possible some were issued without the turrets.