• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question for gunsmiths - Rem 700 in Surgeon bed

RayDBonz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Here's a question for the experts.

I have a McMillan A5 stock with Badger M5 bottom metal. It was bedded to a Surgeon action. (short action - .308)

What needs to be done to use the stock with a Rem 700 .223 action? Will the action fit? How much 'slop' would there be?

I believe there are .223 AICS magazines available, right?

Thanks for any insight!
Bill

Re: Question for gunsmiths - Rem 700 in Surgeon bed

The trigger cut out in the stock will need to be opened up on the side and the stock Re-beded.

In addition to making the cut for the blade type bolt stop per Williams post, you will also need to modify and move back the bolt handle cut for the swept Remington handle.

Definitely want to re-skim bed it as the Surgeon has a straight exterior and most R700s will have some curvature of the bottom lines. The bed tweak will take care of that.

And yes, the 223 AICS mags are in wide circulation.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition to making the cut for the blade type bolt stop per Williams post, you will also need to modify and move back the bolt handle cut for the swept Remington handle. </div></div>

Yep, I missed the bolt handle instructions. Thats just like TC, here to back all of us up, great guy.