• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for LEOs about lights

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I was in Denver visiting a friend a few days ago and there was a shooting about a block and a half from his house.
All kinds of lights and sirens for a while, then the meat wagons left followed by the EMT fire truck.
Lots of investigating left to do I am sure and the cop cars were there for hours. They had the street and alleys blocked off.
There were 4 cars at the house, 3 had the flashing lights going all the time and one had bright white light going.
I can understand the bright white lights but it seems to me that the flashing lights would hinder you after a while trying to look things over in the dark.
So my question is, why leave the flashing lights going on a closed off street, and don't the flashing lights bother you after an hour or two? Regards, FM

Re: Question for LEOs about lights

As a firefighter, I got used to them and didn't notice after awhile.

While not LE but FD, I know that we leave lights on per our SOG's while on scene. We will however shut down lightbars and leave only flashers on. We will use rear or side and rear warning on to eliminate the flashing and/or any possible distraction or light pollution/interference in the scene. Is it possible that they only had rear deck lights on and not the full light bar?

Like rokbuster said, you get used to them and don't really even notice. I've jumped in my car and drove off and forgot to even turn them off for a min, although at night you could not miss that only during the day. But yeah you get used to them and they don't bother you.

It was the light bars on top.
Quite the kaleidoscope!
As I said, I sure could understand the bright white light but all the flashing lights seems to me would get to you and not help finding things on the ground.
Thanks for your answers. Regards, FM

On the "First 48" the patrol cars left on scene during investigation, usually don't have their lights on when the area is all taped off.

just sayin.

Situation usually dictates it. If you close off a street, especially in a situation as this, most agencies have a policy they remain on. Mostly for public safety, so you get use to it.

We get use to the flashing lights. We try to keep our overheads off If all possible in residential areas. Traffic stops they always stay on residential or not. At shootings usually the units blocking the road ( both sides) will have the overheads on, not at the actual scene itself. All departments are different and policy for each department dictates protocol. It does sound weird to keep the overheads on at the crime scene itself like a house.

I don't think anyone could get use to the LEDs on our Chargers, especially @ night. Our (overhead) lights are mounted inside the vehicle for low parasitic drag. You almost get sick when doing a FST.

onechance, Your response was more into what I was thinking.
The cars at the end of the block and the alleys were lit up and I understand that, you need to be seen in order to not have someone try to drive up that way.
We were about a half block away from the street closure and the lights were intense on the blocking cars. No problem for us, go inside and forget about it, other than wondering if a neighbor was involved, like someone you know. Draw the shades on the windows as the blocking cars were enough for us.
The cars at the scene were lit up for hours, and as I said, I think it would be distracting at best and not help you look at things. I do understand the bright white lighs as that would help you see things. I figured they would re-position the other cars and use the bright white lights in order to see better.
Thanks for your answers, Regards, FM

All the emergency vehicle here locally use the LED light. They are so deep colored they shine a great distance but they don't seem to effect night vision as much even though they do seem brighter.