• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question for NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1 owners

Red Belly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
MA
Gentleman

I was a Leupold M4 owner. I had a canted reticle & "tracking issues". I had it repaired & sold it. I was not impressed with the Leupold M4 scope. Needless to say I am looking for new optics. My question is for Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50mm F1 owners. If anyone has gone from a Leupold to a NF scope, could you answer a few questions? Are you pleased with the the scope? What do you like/dislike. I am trying to get some user feedback since there aren't any NF dealers anywhere near me.

Re: Question for NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1 owners

I have 2 F1s and love them. Both track perfectly. Like the MLR reticle alot. It's a great optic. I use mine in sniper comps. I have shot 2 comps since getting them and haven't found myself wanting or needing anything more than what the F1 gives me. Here's a couple pics to wet your whistle and if you have any specific questions let me know and I'll help you out best I can.
P3040436.jpg

P3040434.jpg

What kind of stock is that? Do you have any issues getting a good cheek weld with the 50 mm objective? I am a short bastard & I am a bit concerned with mounting it on my HS precision PSS stock. Nice pics by the way.

That's a Manner T3. No problems at all getting a good cheek weld as it has a fairly straight comb. I also have it on a rifle with a McMillan HTG stock and I have a little foam under my stock pack but I have that there with any scope I have had on there because it is a low comb. Lower than the HS. 50mm really isn't that high.

Also that base in the pic is taller than most as it's set up to use low rings with a 50mm scope and those rings are 1" height. With a standard Badger type base it will be lower.

Don't let Rob fool you: he can shoot well with more than just that rifle and scope combo.
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I have one in SFP, without zero stop, and it's the best value out there. The FFP version has a very small reticle at 3.5x.

That is very usefull info. I really appreciate it. I don't know anyone who owns one & there aren't any dealers around me so I can take the "Pepsi Challenge". Thanks.

That is another question. How "useable" is the 3.5 on an F1?

I have had a S&B 3-12, Premier 3-15, 4 USO's in the 3x range and Leupold 3.5-10 and the F1 is as usuable as any on 3.5 power but honestly when that low of power I have found you aren't really using the mils that much as it's usually at closer shots. I find the mils to be easily usuable down to about 6x and below that it just takes more concentration to use them.

I have been a Leupold "fan" for quite some time, and have them on most all my rifles. I'm a hunter and am really just getting started in the long range area. I bought myself a NF 3.5-15x50 with the NPR2 reticle for my Rem. LTR 308. Needless to say, I have bought my last Leupold! I like the way it tracks, the lit reticle, the clear glass, and the nice people at NF who will gladly answer any questions. I don't have any dislikes, my only issue would be the "thinness" of the reticle. That is only because I'm used to thicker hunting reticles and after shooting it more and more I'm getting used to it. Hope this helps

Thanks. I really wanted to hear from someone who has gone from a Leupold to a NF. That is very helpfull.

I own several Leupold scopes and had always been pleased with them. i just bought an F1 about two months ago and it was my first high end scope. The first time i took it to the range i shoot it for bout an hour and then started shooting one of my guns with the Leupold on it. WOW was i ever disappointed with how the Leupold was from then on. I can pick out my bullet holes twice as easy with the F1 on 15x power verse the Leupold on 20.5x. i will never buy another leupold from that day on. there is just no comparison.