• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question for the firearm refinishers

TORKAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
York, Pennsyltucky
I've done several pistols in H series Cerakote and the only issue i've encountered is due to the dove tail tolerance on the sights. I've encountered issues with some of the colors that require a thicker coating and know there's gotta be a trick. When I push the sights in, it will sometimes drag across the finish and make it look like shit. I've become pretty skilled at touching it up but would like to not have to do that. I've even put the sights in with the slide hot and the sights frozen... Help?

Photo's a bit blurry, top pic shows the drag marks from the new sights.

100MEDIAIMAG0046.jpg

100MEDIAIMAG0044.jpg

100MEDIAIMAG00491.jpg

Re: Question for the firearm refinishers

I think it came out pretty nice otherwise. You could always try masking off the sights and leaving em in while painting. I'm sure the most experienced guys have a better solution. When I'm painting something and I don't want a particular surface to get covered, I either mask it off of cover it in grease. Once the paint cures you can peel the tape or wipe the grease off.
Your mileage, may vary.

I've contemplated masking it off, I don't think night sights would handle the heat. I've got another Kahr to do and i'm not looking forward to the sight issues. I'll post some pics when it's done, and take all the advice I can.

Try greasing the slot and sight before assembly, it may prevent the finish from transferring.

The night sights have to be removed but you could mask all metal sights and spray. Here is what you need to do. Get some locktite and a metal file. File the bottom of the sight since you have changed the thickness. Once it will go on without maring the slide place a good amount of locktite on the sight bottom and grooves Push the sight back on .(Clean up any visable locktite) then let the locktite sit until cured. I have never had an issue doing it this way.

Do not put night sights in oven for curing. It will boil the inserts out of the sights. As for not marking up the new finish, I do like strangdays and file down the bottom of the sights very little to allow the sight to be tapped in and not mark the finish.

Thats what I was lookin for! I've filed a few just a bit but didn't think about the locktite!

Thank you for the suggestion. Gonna give it a try

I've done probably 30 guns in Cerakote and have had great results, this sight issue is the only hang up i've had.

Off topic a little...

Do you like pink pistols, or do you have a lady friend that shoots/carries a micro 40 cal??

I ask because that is quite the pocket rocket. I have a PM9, which is entirely manageable, but wouldn't want the 40. I'm surprised that either:

A: A man would want a pink pistol
B: A woman would want an itty bitty 40

Turbo,
The K40 isn't very "micro" at 24 oz empty.

It was done for a female animal enforcement officer, it matches her handcuffs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harry Callahan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try greasing the slot and sight before assembly, it may prevent the finish from transferring. </div></div>

The above works if all else, (coating) is done right.

Can you just spray the sights if your not using night sights? What about fiber optic front sights? I plan on doing a XD slide soon and figue if I am doing it in black anyways I might just leave the sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Txmxracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can you just spray the sights if your not using night sights? What about fiber optic front sights? I plan on doing a XD slide soon and figue if I am doing it in black anyways I might just leave the sights. </div></div>
Are you asking us if it is ok to put a plastic FO rod in an oven?

I leave the steel sights in when I do black... unless they're night sights at which time I push them out.

I know not to leave the fiber rod in just wasnt sure if I could paint it with the sights in.
shane