• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s question for the VODKA drinkers

dragonlvg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2007
laurel Montana
Guys i have recently learned that my adult beverage of choice is no longer an option (Whiskey in most of its forms) I despise Tequila and Rum is getting old. i am reduced to POTATO vodka as the grain used in most is the problem. am looking for suggestions for a clean drinking good quality drink that wont kill the wallet. Any good suggestions? (Domestic produced is first choice but Import is an option.
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Re: question for the VODKA drinkers

Crater Lake Vodka, distilled in Bend, Oregon. SUPER local for me so it might be cheaper here. But i recommend you try it. They make gin too but i havent had it.

If you dont mind me asking, why the restriction? Docs orders?

Another import is Vikingfjord. Affordable, and super tasty. I highly recommend it.

Like USMCj said above I hear that Chopin is one of the best Potato distilled vodkas out there. Seems there are not too many spud vodkas out there, mostly grain made.

Good luck..

Also read a new Vodka(potato) called "Chase" is really good though priced high enough you probably don't want to use it for screwdrivers and such...may want to give it a try...

I'm an old school Absolut fan myself, with Stoli being a close second. I may be a notch below many other's urbane sensibilities, but that is just me. When I cater an event, like a trap shoot or other outdoors event, I substitute Taaka in the Absolut, Kettle 1, and Grey Goose bottles. Goofy rednecks don't even know the difference!!

Chopin is a well known & excellent potato vodka.
Luksusowa, although not as well known here in the US, is least as smooth, and probably 1/3 less expensive...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEAT4272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Tito's Handmade vodka is fantastic, it's not too rough on the wallet either and it seems easy to get at most locations. </div></div>

Ill second that opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mackdrvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another import is Vikingfjord. Affordable, and super tasty. I highly recommend it. </div></div> What he said. Smooth, made from potatoes, and @ $18 a half gallon.

Absolute is the only vodka I've drank in the last 10 years.

Time for a taste test....

Getchu a bottle each of Chopin, Stoly's and Absolut. You'll never even finish the first two bottles.

Guys, the key is Kevin H is looking for vodka distilled from potatoes, not those distilled from a grain source.

I suspect he no longer is allowed to have grains in his diet because why else would he give up Bourbon????
smile.gif

Ill say it again, Ill take Chopin over any vodka any day. I have yet to get a hangover from Chopin, and it goes down smooth shot after shot. The same cant be said for the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captinmitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm an old school Absolut fan myself, with Stoli being a close second. I may be a notch below many other's urbane sensibilities, but that is just me. When I cater an event, like a trap shoot or other outdoors event, I substitute Taaka in the Absolut, Kettle 1, and Grey Goose bottles. Goofy rednecks don't even know the difference!!</div></div>

This is pretty sketchy in my book. Do you also use cat instead of chicken and try to pass it off for chicken? Remind me to never get you to cater an event for me.

Chopin is supposed to be good, cant speak for it myself though. It is also on the higher end price range. I can recomend, in no specific order Ketel 1, Svedka, Three Olive, and Sky. All of those are grain vodkas if memory serves me right. Ketel 1 is probably my top choice however it is $15 or so for a 750ml. bottle. Good luck, you cant go wrong with a good vodka.

Tito's Handmade Vodka is really good..and its wheat and gluten free; made from 100% corn. Personally I stock my bar with Belvedere but I couldn't tell you exactly whats in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unrepentant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time for a taste test....

Getchu a bottle each of Chopin, Stoly's and Absolut. You'll never even finish the first two bottles. </div></div>

I tended bar for a while at a high end joint that offered over 30 different vodkas at any one time. As staff, we blind taste tested them all, on several occasions, to better recommend each to our clientelle...
Lemme tell ya, you'd be surprised at how some big name brands taste like azz, as compared to lesser known brands. Some of these new fangled vodkas on the market are crap in a pretty bottle...

If I had my choice, it'd be VOX everytime. But I'll stand by my above potato recommendations as runner's up. Potato vodkas are known to be more smooth & fully round flavored, and Chopin & Lukso are beautiful examples of that style...

I personally really like potato vodka, chopin is good but try Karlssons really clean tasting potato vodka with a nice creamy finish.

I really know little of Vodka. I am more of a (go to Mex.) & seek-out & bring drinking Anejo home for drinking , I love, (quality small family Distilled ) Anejo Tequila .
OK, I never really cared for Vodka @ all until 'the Best' Vodka I ever drank was overseas & hanging-out with Russians . They flew it in themselves and I never tasted something with Clean, Smooth Flavor like it in my life. I Never knew Vodka could be like this. indescribable on the clean smoothness when drinking it . Just unbelievable taste when you pulled a slug from there bottles .
I would love to score some vodka like that here in the states but I don't think that it is possible. I think it is like good strait sipping Anejo in Mex. & that the best Vodka is Russian, small family Distilled and Never Exported out to the US for sales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grey Goose works well also. </div></div>
I like it...

There is a new vodka that's being made up here in anchorage, it's called Permafrost. I have been drinking vodka for a long time, this stuff puts Grey Goose, Kettle, Belv a lll to shame. It cost about 50 bucks a bottle but it's worth it.

costco vodka is grey goose. mix it with any color g2 gatorade and a splash of our favorite energy drink..

and boom boom pow you got what i like to call an otter pop...

Have you tried Gin? Same basic stuff, but flavored. I've seen a lot of taste tests that suggest you can be very happy with cheaper Vodka, just run it through a Britta a couple of times& it smoothes right out. I haven't tried it because, quite frankly, Vodka sucks.

Hmmm, Tito's sucked. Crap. Rotgut.
Ston was nice and clean, really smooth too. Absolute is low grade too. Now Chopin, Ketel One, same same, comes form the same place. Dave Nolet started bringing it into the US a long time ago. A great friend worked for him then so we tried a buttload of Vodka's.
Ketel 1, triple distillation, copper pot. First third of teh final still is skivved off for rubbing alcohol. Middle third is Ketel 1. Bottom third is Smirnoff.
When you start paying for higher end spirits over $30 a bottle it all comes down to personal taste and what you like. Lower grades are well, lower grade crap and not worth drinking.
360 is nice, and depending if you go 'West Coast' or 'East Coast' will tell you whether Pravda or Grey Goose is the good stuff. If I can't find Ston(1L bottle, not the pee wee 750ml) I go for the 360 or the Pravda.
Panty 6 likes them all just fine but also agrees that the Tito's, Absolute, and other stuff is pure crap. It's fine for young kids who are looking for a buzz but not fit for, nor qualified as an 'adult beverage'
grin.gif

Wow - surprising how many people didn't read the question and just started spouting off!

He's looking for a vodka distilled from <span style="font-weight: bold">potatoes</span>. The list is quite small. Vodka is about all I drink, although I prefer the wheat or rye ones the best. (Ultimat and Zubrowka being my personal favorites)

Distilled from potatoes you have:
- Chopin - not bad, in fact often listed among the best brands in the world
- Luksusowa - I've never had it, gets good reviews
- Blue Ice American Vodka - a best value, rated the #1 American vodka in 2003, and a gold medal in 2005. I may have to try this one.
- Mor Vodka, Poland - never tried it
- Potocki Vodka - expensive, never tried it
- Karlssons Gold Potato Vodka - some folks like it, I found it a bit oily with almost a licorice flavor

You might also try Hanger One which is distilled from grapes (as is Roth California Vodka). Never tried those.
Or 3 Vodka which is distilled from soy.

Personally, if I had to stick with potato vodka, it would be Chopin for martinis and Luksoska for mixed drinks. Both are Polish - and they certainly know vodka!

Or, for domestic, try the Blue Ice, Cirrus or Zodiac - all are American potato vodkas.

+1 I used to drink Ciroc but their current spokesperson makes it unappealing. Svedka is great for the buck too.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEAT4272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Tito's Handmade vodka is fantastic, it's not too rough on the wallet either and it seems easy to get at most locations. </div></div>

Mor isn't a bad vodka. I ran into it in a place in the sand where some Polish MP's always had a stash and were partial to a good cigar. Let's just say that for a few cigars, me and some other 'Grizzly Bears'* were treated mighty fine.
I'll have to go to Mulligan's and check the stash of clear liquor on the morrow. Panty 6 needs something to mix her stuff in

* Soldiers in the US Army from California

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, Tito's sucked. Crap. Rotgut.
Ston was nice and clean, really smooth too. Absolute is low grade too. Now Chopin, Ketel One, same same, comes form the same place. Dave Nolet started bringing it into the US a long time ago. A great friend worked for him then so we tried a buttload of Vodka's.
Ketel 1, triple distillation, copper pot. First third of teh final still is skivved off for rubbing alcohol. Middle third is Ketel 1. Bottom third is Smirnoff.
When you start paying for higher end spirits over $30 a bottle it all comes down to personal taste and what you like. Lower grades are well, lower grade crap and not worth drinking.
360 is nice, and depending if you go 'West Coast' or 'East Coast' will tell you whether Pravda or Grey Goose is the good stuff. If I can't find Ston(1L bottle, not the pee wee 750ml) I go for the 360 or the Pravda.
Panty 6 likes them all just fine but also agrees that the Tito's, Absolute, and other stuff is pure crap. It's fine for young kids who are looking for a buzz but not fit for, nor qualified as an 'adult beverage'
grin.gif
</div></div>

Switch,

That's why I stick to single malts..I know jack about vodka. All I want vodka to do is make a nice bloody mary..

JR

Stoli.

Like Porsche, there is no substitute!

The brand dose not necessarily matter - just mix lots of it with Tropicanna and ice and its practically good for you!

However you can't beat Absolut straight from the freezer.

Luksosowa isn't bad, Iv'e been a repeat buyer. smooth potato vodka. I hope I don't ever have to give up the grain, I'm sipping on a nice old single malt right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000yard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luksosowa isn't bad, Iv'e been a repeat buyer. smooth potato vodka. I hope I don't ever have to give up the grain, I'm sipping on a nice old single malt right now. </div></div>

I remember visiting the old country in 1984 with the folks and finding this in the state store for $1.10 a bottle. Now I'd buy that for a dollar!

FWIW, Luksusowa (and Zubrowka) have been around forever.