• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

F T/R Competition Question for the XLR Chassis Owners

rangeryo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
Central Virginia
I've got an order in for a new XLR Chassis, with tactical butt stock. I've been looking for a rear bag that I think would work best with a chassis of this design, so I figured I would ask around here and see if anyone else has any opinions on the matter. Does anyone have any experience choosing a suitable rear bag for this application?

I don't know that it matters, but I generally shoot from a 9-13'' bipod from the prone position.

I use a "pillow" style bag with my XLR w/ tac stock (mine's TAB gear: https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/tab-rear-bag.html ) -- works well for me as I use bag position (forward and back along the slope of the tac buttstock) and orientation for course tuning and "squeeze" to fine tune (sounds like your prone may be a little higher than mine, so you may want a slightly larger bag).

Depending on how you like to use your rear bag, a "wedge" would probably also work well, possibly favoring the adjustment by position of the bag and less favoring adjusting by squeeze (though that is just a guess on my part).

Thanks for your input mattj. I've actually been looking at the TAB bags, as well as the triad wedgie. The TAB's don't appear to be very tall, but I'm wondering how it would work out if I paired the bag, with the wedgie for the extra height. Are the TAB's firm enough to make a suitable base?

Thanks for your input mattj. I've actually been looking at the TAB bags, as well as the triad wedgie. The TAB's don't appear to be very tall, but I'm wondering how it would work out if I paired the bag, with the wedgie for the extra height. Are the TAB's firm enough to make a suitable base?

There is extra room in the tab bag.. once you "take up" the extra room, either from the stock pushing down into it, or by squeezing it with your support hand (or, typically, some combination of the two to achieve the proper height), it becomes firm. I suspect the TAB might be a little short at times if you're starting from 9" bipod height. The pillow + wedge thing would work, but I'd personally wouldn't want to keep track of / haul around two bags.

If you want to stick to one rear support thing only, and want to go the bag route (instead of a wedge), in your case with the tall bipod I might suggest something a little bigger like this guy:
http://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Tactical-Pillow.html

-Matt

Hmm, after looking at the dimensions of that thing more closely, not sure whether it would actually get you any higher... but anyway, you get the idea, taller bag.

I have the same stock. I don't know how it falls in the rules for F Class but if it's legal I think you will do yourself a favor adding the monopod rail and buying an accushot monopod to use as a bag rider. I use mine as an actual monopod when the position allows but always have it for a bag rider. But I shoot long range sniper and have never tried F-Class.