• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question,,,, Get My Rem 700 re-done or sell it add a few hundred and get a Stiller

SniperJoe

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2012
Long Island, NY
I'm not sure what to do,,,,

Option A) Have my new Rem 700, Blueprinted, re-barreled and add a Timeny trigger, Which will cost me "X" $$$

Option B) Sell the Remington and have a Stiller built. That will cost the "X" $$$ plus the money from the Remington sale plus about $300

additional.

I already have a ACIS 1.5 Chasis that will work for either

So I guess it comes down to, Is it worth the extra $300 for the Stiller??????????????

Help me decide,

Last edited:
If your 700 is a desireable set-up, sell it and go full custom. If it is not, (read adl 270), youll need more than 300 dollars to get into a custom action.

I'd get the Stiller Tac 30 A/W only if you desire to use AW magazines. If not, either will work fine. If you get a Timney for the Stiller, ensure they have the correct sear installed, otherwise it won't be compatible with the Stiller.

If you intend to go with .308, the AW magazine may not be worth it. The biggest advantage I've found with the AW magazines is the extra length, which usually isn't that big a deal on a .308 Win to me.

sounds like you're in the same boat I was in a couple months ago...but mine with a Badger action.

I ended up going with C. Dixon of Longrifles Inc.; had my 700 action trued, bolt timed and fluted adding a Bartline barrel (Grizzly had them in stock)-fluted all Cerakoted (kept the original trigger- works well for me)...from door to door was less than three weeks.So, I've got a sub .5moa rifle that I can shoot today and saved money at the same time.

I didn't go with Surgeon due to the similarity in the 700 action. I just didn't see the price justification for what I would get. There isn't anything wrong with the Surgeon, just that I already had the 700. The reason I didn't go with Badger is simple...they refused to take my money. No problem with getting them cash, check etc...they simply would not take any of my money, so, they didn't get any.

What is it that you really want? If you simply want a Surgeon, get one. If you're looking to justify the purchase over the 700, I can't think of a reason other than better resale. The 700 is a fine action that can be made extremely accurate.

Last edited:
to help answer your own question go to the for sale section here, or to online auction sites and see how a blueprinted 700 compares to the resale of a custom action. I think you will find that the custom actions sell faster, and for more money than a fully worked Remington. As far as accuracy Chad can make both of them shoot better than most people are capable.