• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question/Law Clarification for California Marksmen

Rob.Dizz.89

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2014
Sorry if this question seems off-topic...couldn't find an appropriate spot. I'm currently in the middle of a savage bench rifle build and I need some gunsmithing done, problem is, I have yet to find a good smith in my area. I know a very reputable place out of state, but I am a little confused as to how the law is written about shipping/receiving long guns in California. I've read the law through and through, but its so convoluted that I'm not completely understanding it. I think I'm fine shipping the rifle from my house to the gunsmith out of state, but when it comes time for the gunsmith to ship my rifle back, I am unsure where it should go. Do I need to have it shipped to an FFL near me, or can the smith just ship it right back to my home address? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, I just don't wanna do anything illegal.:confused:

No need to go through an FFL if it already has gone through one when you DROSd it. Ship it to the gunsmith and have him send it back to you (with insurance both ways, mind you).

ETA: I did exactly that on an M1A back in 2001 without problems via UPS, declared at the UPS depot (not UPS Store) as a firearm.

No need to go through an FFL if it already has gone through one when you DROSd it. Ship it to the gunsmith and have him send it back to you (with insurance both ways, mind you).

ETA: I did exactly that on an M1A back in 2001 without problems via UPS, declared at the UPS depot (not UPS Store) as a firearm.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought for sure I was gonna have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get my custom work done, wont be as bad as I thought.

Dogtown nailed it. I have to ship my rifles from the ups warehouse not one of their satellite stores, with a copy of the FFL's dealer its going to.

No problems shipping it back to you. You can even use the postal service if you so desire to ship long guns; no handguns, ammo, primers, powder, however. I have used UPS and USPS and found far less headache using the postal service. Strange but true.