• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question of the day.

TexasMade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Ok lets face it with any good youtube video and the right tools just about anyone can build an AR. Im thinking I'm bout to pull the trigger on a JD Machine Upper-Lower set. I would more than likely put a Shillen Barrel in it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. My question is if I'm looking to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100, is there some kind of AR Voodoo or tricks that make the AR accurate that the top knotch manafactures do? Or can I with good quality parts produce the same results?

I get 1 in. groups, from my "standard" ARs. Stag 6, with the "heavy stainless barrels" Rock River is another good one. If your going with a "home build", Good luck. Look at Larue. Or Stag.But I reload. The Stag 6 shot 1 in., out of the box. with "plain jane" PMC rounds. Talked to a Guy, here, that got 1/2 in, with reloads, from his Stag-6. I'm "just starting" my reloads, for this gun. Will let ya know. Just wanted to give ya "one more option".Save ya some "head aches".6.5 Creedmoor? You got me I'd go Larue. Then ya WAIT! Why 6.5? What do you want to do?I love to shoot 1/2 in groups. the "cheapest" way, is with a Bolt gun 5R 308 or 223.1170, out of the box. Mag guns are "different". I've been there. Good Luck?Ya want it right. Go with a JD build, and forget the "headaches" Wait for it. These guys "know the tricks". Trust them. Any guy can "build an AR. Some guys know the tricks." I've been a builder, for 35 yrs. Seen Home Depot come in, and try to "talk out" the profesionals. DON"T buy it. You want a good gun?. Don't "hack it", yourself. They know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Do you think if I provide the barrel and parts, JD will put it all together? And I want 6.5 creed because I built a 1300 yard range at my house and want my round to be the 6.5 CM. Im convinced it does everything I want it to do and more. And I cant name many reason why it wouldnt be better than 308 for what I do. Im having Surgeon put me together my bolt gun, but I want a Semi Auto as well. Y?? I dont know haha. Guess cause it's human nature

"Y?? I dont know haha. Guess cause it's human nature"
I like it! cause you just do! that's why. why not?

I built a AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and love it. It is consistentaly sub-moa but I wouldnt say its a consistent half minute gun. I will occasionally get half minute groups but closer to 3/4 is the norm. There isnt Magic Voodoo that the pros use they just have a lot of experince doing what they are doing. They select high quality components and assemble them in a precise manner. That being said you can likely build one yourself the disadvantage being if it doesnt work well you have no one to blame but yourself.

Best of luck 6.5 creedmoor is a great caliber I loved it so much in my AR that I had a bolt gun assembled in it. I have less then 200 rounds through the bolt gun and am just settling on a load I really like which gave me .33 5 round group now just to get the rifle zeroed with that round (just waiting on a day when it isnt blowing 15+).

I built a AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and love it. It is consistentaly sub-moa but I wouldnt say its a consistent half minute gun. I will occasionally get half minute groups but closer to 3/4 is the norm. There isnt Magic Voodoo that the pros use they just have a lot of experince doing what they are doing. They select high quality components and assemble them in a precise manner. That being said you can likely build one yourself the disadvantage being if it doesnt work well you have no one to blame but yourself.

Best of luck 6.5 creedmoor is a great caliber I loved it so much in my AR that I had a bolt gun assembled in it. I have less then 200 rounds through the bolt gun and just settling on a load I really like which gave me .33 5 round group now just to get the rifle zeroed with that round (just waiting on a day when it isnt blowing 15+).

Thats awesome news, what do you think is the most important part is of assembly?

Thats awesome news, what do you think is the most important part is of assembly?

I would say mounting the barrel and properly headspacing the bolt to the barrel are going to be the most important things for you to do. Other then that ensure you properly torque everything up but don't mongo torque things. The biggest thing I can say is take your time and be precise with what your doing.

You will love the Creedmoor. I have a 1000yd range in my backyard also. Go join AR-15.com and you will find all you need about building an AR. The HIDE seems to be best place for big-bore AR parts. Take a look at 6.5 Grendel in AR-15 platform for 1000yd range. Light and a bunch of fun to shoot. I shoot both and love both. The Shilen barrel is the heat on the 6.5G. Hope this helps.

TexasMade
last time I was in JD's shop, a month and a half ago, they were no longer doing any assembly work..... machining uppers and lowers and components only. Way too busy to build. Call them to see if they are caught up.

I talked to Harris Gunworks and they can have me a "match" barrel in 60-90 days I can send my upper/lower and they will headspace it for me. Anyone have any experience with Harris? And does anyone have any Barrel manufactures that will make me an AR 6.5 CM barrel in under half a year?

And thanks cotntop I'll definitely take a look!