• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question on .308 Palma Brass

CanPopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Houston, TX
Good Evening Board,
I recently ordered two boxes of Lapua .308 Palma brass. I figured since I have cases of small rifle primers stockpiled, I might as well get some brass for my .308 that can use it.

My question is, have anyone observed any significant changes to either accuracy and/or the powder charge needed to achieve max accuracy? What are the impact to bullet velocity and velocity spread? What kind of small rifle primer did you find work best? The small rifle, small rifle match, or small rifle magnum? I have boxes of all three so was wondering which should I test first when I receive the brass.

CanPopper,

Very little difference in accuracy that I've seen in using both over the course of a few matches, but the Palma cases are generally a bit less lot sensitive to finding a decent batch of primers for 1,000 competition. This, incidentally, was what prompted the development of these cases at the request of the US Palma team. Try a standard Small Rifle Match primer, and I'm sure you'll be good to go.

One other thing to be aware of; these cases not only have a small primer pocket, they also have a smaller flash hole aw well. Normal diameter is 2.0mm, or about .080" in the vast majority of cases. There are a few accuracy oriented cases that were designed with a smaller, 1.5mm (about .059") flash hole. Specifically, in the Lapua line this includes the 220 Russian, the 6mm BR, the 6.5x47 and the new Palma brass. It does seem to enhance accuracy, but you will need to swap out the decapping pin for a small version. Don't know whose dies you're using, but most makers will know precisely what you're talking about when you ask, and will be more than happy to set you up with a few of the 1.5mm pins. Don't switch them out, and you'll wind up sticking the decapping pins in the flash hole, and pulling them out of the decapping rod. Pain in the ass, easily avoided if you just swap the pin. You can continue to use that same small pin for ALL your other 308 cases, so it's not even and inconvenience for future reloading.