• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question on 357 sig vs magnum bullets

TheSolitaryTraveller

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2013
Just a quick and simple question, is the bullet used in the 357 sig the same size and the one in the 357 magnum. because it seems like they both are the same size, just the cases they are loaded into are different.

Also if so, compared to the 9mm how is the 357 sig in recoil, range, velocity, muzzle flash, handle loading, and ability to be suppressed?

Also the reason for the question is because way down the road I plan to get a 357 magnum revolver because i love those things and always wanted one for myself, but also want a conceal carry pistol. Now farther down the road i plan to do reloading so having to deal with less parts I have to purchase each time is a plus, also I have permission to order custom rounds form a guy but he multiples cost for every caliber he has to make for you so this way instead of pay x2 it'll be like x1.5.

You sure, I thought 357 sig used .355-.356 bullets and the 357 mag used .357-.358 diameter bullets.

While .001-.003” sounds small they are different enough that a bullet meant for a 9mm will not be held in a sized 357 mag case when reloading... I’ve tried it.

Last edited:
135 grain bullets in a 10mm makes a nice cartridge but I have a soft spot for 125 grain bullets moving at 1800+ fps too. 357 sig isn't going to touch the potential of a proper 357 mag load.

Yes, same projectiles.

The 357 Sig is more comperable to the 40 S&W than to a 9mm. It has a bunch more pressure than 9mm, so expect more snappy recoil, additional velocity with a flatter trajectory. Muzzle flash, like other cartridges will be dictated by the powder used and the barrel length. You can still suppress it, but it is well over the trans-sonic threshold, so it will be a bit louder than 9mm, and a bunch louder than sub-sonic 9mm.

The few I've shot were only mildly picky about the ammo they fed well. Almost everything fed without issue, sans one or two loadings. In general, it was plenty reliable.

This post is chock full of misinformation.

The answer is "no". Assuming jacketed bullets, 9mm and 357sig both use .355" projectiles whilst 38spl and 357mag use .357".

Furthermore, SAAMI specifies a maximum pressure of 35ksi for 9mm, 38.5ksi for 9mm+P and 40ksi for 357sig... I might also point out that SAAMI specs a max pressure for 357mag of 35ksi.

That said, while SAAMI doesn't have a standard for 9mm +p+, you can bet it's 40ksi or more, as are many handloads.

You are correct that 357sig will have more recoil and velocity, however, as there is more case capacity and the case can do more work on the bullet given the same(ish) pressure as the 9mm.

Last edited:
135 grain bullets in a 10mm makes a nice cartridge but I have a soft spot for 125 grain bullets moving at 1800+ fps too. 357 sig isn't going to touch the potential of a proper 357 mag load.

A big +1 on 10mm. It's a truly glorious cartridge!

357sig and 357mag are pretty darn comparable when you are talking 125gr loadings. Where the 357mag straight up runs away from the sig is when you use the 158gr bullets.

Underwood makes some badass 357sig ammo, that approaches (or maybe even exceeds!!) 1500fps with the 125gr bullets.

This post is chock full of misinformation.

The answer is "no". Assuming jacketed bullets, 9mm and 357sig both use .355" projectiles whilst 38spl and 357mag use .357".

Furthermore, SAAMI specifies a maximum pressure of 35ksi for 9mm, 38.5ksi for 9mm+P and 40ksi for 357sig... I might also point out that SAAMI specs a max pressure for 357mag of 35ksi.

That said, while SAAMI doesn't have a standard for 9mm +p+, you can bet it's 40ksi or more, as are many handloads.

You are correct that 357sig will have more recoil and velocity, however, as there is more case capacity and the case can do more work on the bullet given the same(ish) pressure as the 9mm.

Thanks for posting, so I didn't have to.

I have verified and stand corrected. I have a buddy who is FLEO and issued 357 sig, and we discussed reloads for it montha ago, and was goin off of memory, and have researched and found you are indeed correct. I should have known better since A) it was off of memory, and B) he can get ammo isseued for even personal range time and virtually never loads it himself as a result. I am redacting my previous post.

My apologies, posting bad information is not something I do often, and it is irresponsible. I know better than to open my mouth when I'm not sure, and am embarrassed at this transgression.

The 10mm is great but after I shot my 9X25 Dillon I was in love.. It's pretty much a given if you like the 357 Sig you'll love the 9X25 Dillon.. When you're ready to put on your big boy underwear start playing with the 40 Super.

oh well, i'll just get a g26 when the time comes would go with 10mm but I see that more as a full size handgun round not something I'd want fired out of a tiny pistol. But oh well 9mm is a good round nothing to really complain about but god help my wallet if I get some special rounds again because if 308 was 15 a round I rather not think what the cost ill be if I get some for 9mm and 357 mag.

oh well, i'll just get a g26 when the time comes would go with 10mm but I see that more as a full size handgun round not something I'd want fired out of a tiny pistol. But oh well 9mm is a good round nothing to really complain about but god help my wallet if I get some special rounds again because if 308 was 15 a round I rather not think what the cost ill be if I get some for 9mm and 357 mag.

If you get a chance try a G29 in 10mm.. they are a joy to shoot even though subcompact. I have two both in SF, one dedicated for 10 and the other 9X25.

I like the 357 Sig, from day one, but it will not handle the big heavy bullets as the .357 mag will, I've never loaded anything but 124gr, marked 357 sig, while it is true the bullet is .355 (9mm), the ogive of most 9mm bullets are not condusive to the .357 sig. Needless to say there has been a lot of controversy regarding how a .357 sig head space works, there are a lot of "experts" that claim SAMMI is full of idiots and don't know what they are doing etc., then there are those that believe the mfgs.(to include SIG) and SAMMI, don't know what they're doing! I spoke with Mr. Manson regarding some headspace gauges not long ago, he has stopped offering the .357Sig HS gauge, as his gauge indexed on the shoulder and were not IAW SAMMI. Any way, the 9mm bullet fired from the .357 sig, for the most part needs to be one that is designed for the .357 sig, speer-mfgs lots of them.

Last edited:
I see no relationship between the two mentioned cartridges besides the numerical designation? Is not the Sig a necked down bottle neck design and the 357Mag is s true rimmed case that for sure headspaces on the rim.

anyway:
"Also the reason for the question is because way down the road I plan to get a 357 magnum revolver because i love those things and always wanted one for myself, but also want a conceal carry pistol. Now farther down the road i plan to do reloading so having to deal with less parts I have to purchase each time is a plus, also I have permission to order custom rounds form a guy but he multiples cost for every caliber he has to make for you so this way instead of pay x2 it'll be like x1.5."

This ^ is not much justification for asking the question, whatever it might be? BB

I see no relationship between the two mentioned cartridges besides the numerical designation? Is not the Sig a necked down bottle neck design and the 357Mag is s true rimmed case that for sure headspaces on the rim.

anyway:
"Also the reason for the question is because way down the road I plan to get a 357 magnum revolver because i love those things and always wanted one for myself, but also want a conceal carry pistol. Now farther down the road i plan to do reloading so having to deal with less parts I have to purchase each time is a plus, also I have permission to order custom rounds form a guy but he multiples cost for every caliber he has to make for you so this way instead of pay x2 it'll be like x1.5."

This ^ is not much justification for asking the question, whatever it might be? BB

The relationship is simple, the manufacturer wanted to duplicate the ballistics of the 357Mag in a pistol, Sig and Fed talked about this a lot when it was first introduced. Wiki has this to say:

"Developed in 1994, the new cartridge was named "357" to highlight its purpose: to duplicate the performance of 125-grain (8.1 g) .357 Magnum loads fired from 4-inch (100 mm) barreled revolvers, in a cartridge designed to be used in a semi-automatic pistol"
There is no doubt that they are not similar in design or function, but rather in performance, in fact the 357MAG established the performance goal-thus the name. Hope this helps.