• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question on changing a 223 Rem barrel to 223 Wylde or 5.56

Lightning8

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
I have a Tikka T3x Varmint with a 223 Rem Chamber and 1-8 Twist. I wish to shoot 75 and 80 ELDMs, 80 SMKs, etc. loaded to 2.5 or similar length. Currently, I cannot load "long" in the Tikka with factory 223 Rem chamber. The Tikka T3X Varmint is in a KRG Bravo stock and using MDT AICS style polymer mags that will support loading "long".

1) How - what tools and techniques - do I change the current rifle from 223 Rem to 223 Wylde or 5.56?
2) Does this require machinist tools or can an individual accomplish this with hand tools?
3) Can this be done without removing the barrel from the action?

Thanks

Sounds like you just want a longer throat on your chamber.

You can accomplish this by running a finish reamer of the proper throat length into the existing chamber. You could also use a throating reamer and run it to the proper depth.

This could be done with a reamer and an extended handle by hand while the action is still on the barrel.

However, this is a job best left to someone with special knowledge and experience. The reamer alone will cost you more than a gunsmith would likely charge. Most gunsmiths have a .2245 throating reamer to do this type of job. The risk of screwing up your barrel is not worth trying this as DIY job. Load some dummy rounds with the bullets seated to the length you want. Deliver them to a gunsmith and ask him to throat the barrel to accommodate these dummy rounds.

Sounds like you just want a longer throat on your chamber.

You can accomplish this by running a finish reamer of the proper throat length into the existing chamber. You could also use a throating reamer and run it to the proper depth.

This could be done with a reamer and an extended handle by hand while the action is still on the barrel.

However, this is a job best left to someone with special knowledge and experience. The reamer alone will cost you more than a gunsmith would likely charge. Most gunsmiths have a .2245 throating reamer to do this type of job. The risk of screwing up your barrel is not worth trying this as DIY job. Load some dummy rounds with the bullets seated to the length you want. Deliver them to a gunsmith and ask him to throat the barrel to accommodate these dummy rounds.
^^^ This.

Wylde is primarily for AR platforms. Don't have to worry about whether .223 or 5.56 that way.

A throating reamer will cut the lands back so you can load those heavies long.

I would recommend getting the chamber punched out to ackley improved whilst you are in there as well, no reason not to.

Reactions: RTH1800
As far as a diy tikka bbls from factory are notoriously tough to get loose and end up in the scrap bin most of the time. If reaming a deeper throat is an. Option for you youll need a piloted reamer with a handle. A set of go no gauges at a minimum

I have a Tikka T3x Varmint with a 223 Rem Chamber and 1-8 Twist. I wish to shoot 75 and 80 ELDMs, 80 SMKs, etc. loaded to 2.5 or similar length. Currently, I cannot load "long" in the Tikka with factory 223 Rem chamber. The Tikka T3X Varmint is in a KRG Bravo stock and using MDT AICS style polymer mags that will support loading "long".

1) How - what tools and techniques - do I change the current rifle from 223 Rem to 223 Wylde or 5.56?
2) Does this require machinist tools or can an individual accomplish this with hand tools?

Thanks
1. Barrel wrench
2. Barrel vise
3. Go/No-go gauges

Done

You're welcome.

Doc

A throating reamer will cut the lands back so you can load those heavies long.

I would recommend getting the chamber punched out to ackley improved whilst you are in there as well, no reason not to.

Technically you can’t open a 223 up to 223 AI unless you are feeding it reloads only. Doing so will result in at least .004”-.005” more headspace than minimum.

Perfectly fine if you are reloading and can control your shoulder bump though.

I’ve had a factory barrels knocked out to AI before.

Your smith will likely chuck it up, knock a few thou off the shoulder, ream out chamber to AI, cut the freebore to your spec and screw it all back together. Most of the labour is zeroing the bore so the extra couple of operations themselves wont cost too much more than just getting the lands pushed out.

MDT poly mags will feed the AI brass through your Tikka smoothly without mods, but a little feed ramp shaping and minor feed lip adjustments will have it feeding smoother than it does with standard 223.

Wylde is primarily for AR platforms. Don't have to worry about whether .223 or 5.56 that way.

Done plenty of 223 Wylde chambers on bolt guns.

The Wylde chamber is what I call a happy balance between the short throat 223 Rem and the looser chamber and longer throat of the 5.56 NATO is the best way I can describe it.

I used the Wylde reamer on my sons bolt gun. Nice little laser beam.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Yup. I always go with Wylde chambered barrels. Allows for the longest loading and pressures of 556 versus 223....

Thanks
Have you tried loading and shooting any of those bullets with the existing chamber? The difference between a spec .223 reamer and a Wylde is roughly .037”. Most “match” reamers are .050 longer than a standard .223 reamer. Splitting hairs really. Just shoot them as is.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Do you currently reload? What is the measurement to the lands? I’d pick up a Hornady modified case and see how far out the bullets are in your current chamber before messing around with a reamer.