• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question on chronographing...

workinman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
Indiana
yesterday went out to the range anxious to use my new 35p chrono. shot several strings and noticed my averages stayed about the same, but my extreme spread seems to creep up each string. i don't know if this is because of the barrel/chamber warming up or something else. i've been reloading for a few (+15)years and have finally come around to using a chrono. it is really nice to know what your actual velocities are!

Re: question on chronographing...

When I chrono i will check zero with a shot or two then space my shots out about a minute apart to try and keep the temp down just for those reason.

In a nut shell yes the heat can effect your spreads and velocity.

In addition i log and keep track of my chrono session and load developement on these pages.

You may find them helpful.
http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Load_Development_s/55.htm

Happy Shooting

+1 to what Nomad said. I wasn't spacing my shots out enough and had the same gremlin.

In addition, the smaller the barrel contour, bore dia. (tight bore) number of grooves (more) the worse the phenomenon CAN be.

A warm barrel will def. change your ES. When really hot out, I have had to space shots as much as 5 minutes or more. Also, avoid letting them "cook" in the chamber if you can.

Workinman,

Got the same unit as yours. I agree with everyone above.
Space your shot's. Just finished doing some load development today, I let my barrel cool abit between shot's. No creeping of fps on the print out.

I test new loads like I'm going to shoot them. If I plan on firing a round every 5 seconds that's the way they are shot over the chrono, real world data.

When shooting with a chronograph I normally let my barrel cool to a temperature where I can hold my hand on it. To me that is a good indication of temperature and if the barrel is too hot to hold, then it is probably too hot to shoot expecting good consistency.