• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Dies...New to reloading

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
What is the general consensus on RCBS competition dies? I'm brand new to the game of reloading and looking for a quality starting unit.

Thanks in advance

I'd look into Whidden and Redding if looking for a set of dies at a overcomeable price, with good quality.
RCBS would come lagging behind this if the choice was mine.
Forsters seater is really good though.

And although i only have a few free sets seeing the machining on Lee dies i would stay away for sure.

My favorites are Sinclairs new stainless bullet seater for arbor presses and WTC sizing dies.
Second would be Triebel guntools, witch are not available in the US.
And all the threaded dies i prefer are 1 1/4-12 threaded so won't fit in any press.
THey are at a whole other price point though, and Redding or WHidden will work very well at least for a beginning reloader.

Last edited:
Fancy expensive dies offer little more than the ~$35 set from RCBS. Even the $20 LEE sets work just fine.

What fancy sets offer is some added convenience and/or versatility. For example, micrometer adjustable seater dies are really convenient for making seating depth changes. The "sliding sleeve" style seaters make sense to me, but frankly, I've not seen any measurable difference between them and the old fashioned style.

I do believe in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy, but for a beginner whose going to be hemmoraging money for tools and supplies, I'd recommend buying a basic $35 RCBS set.

To directly answer your question regarding the RCBS Competition dies - I had a set for 338LM, and they were excellent.

If you are gonna make any bullets for an AR style rifle make sure you get a small base sizing die. It will save you many headaches

I am very happy with my Forster set (w/ micrometer add on for the seater). I don't have experience with anything RCBS aside from their Carbide 44-mag set, on which I did replace the lock rings with the Forster version (I do on all my dies)...for what that is worth. They have been great dies.

Thanks for the quick responses. It looks like I have a lot more research ahead of me. I have never looked at Forster, but that gives me another option.

Im actually in the same boat with you right now, it was between redding and rcbs, i heard alot about how the redding is better but for the half year ive been reloading i have been using my buddies set up and he has the rcbs competition. I like it just because its simple, open the window drop the bullet in and away ya go and goes pretty quick, so i decided to go with that but since its on back order for no telling how long might be a good chance to just go ahead and switch.

If you want to learn, any dies will work. If you are going to make competition grade ammo, wait until you figure out what you're doing. Then get Redding "S" Full Length dies. Buy the best and don't look back. But to learn on, any big name dies will work. If I may make a suggestion. Buy the latest Lyman handloading manual. I think it's the 49th Edition. Read the safety part first. Then read the set up instructions. Then read the safety chapter again.

Good luck & be careful.

99 percent of shooters cannot tell the difference in dies. I have made some very accurate ammo with RCBS dies for 40 years. I do like the Redding competition seaters and the s type sizers for my precision rifles though. For an AR or a lever action, no difference will be noticed. If you are target shooting, there is a lot more to it than the dies.....

We are always told that.
But every time I am around people at 3 gun who started reloading the most common problem is stuck rounds.
Ironically factory ammo is done smaller.
Put a few factory rounds through a gauge and it will slip in and out almost without touching the sides.
The small base die will eliminate any problems in this area.
Why not just avoid the issue all together.

Reddings are super durable. When you set them up they stay set up.
The RCBS allen screws will over time get difficult to use.
I switched to Redding after having a few rings move. I tend to make rounds for different matches in different calibers in small batches so it I changing dies often.
At least that is my experience.

Having several regular RCBS sets in a variety of sizes, one competition Redding set in 30.06 Ackley Improved, one RCBS Gold Medal set in 338LM, and one Wilson Seating Die for an Arbor press, I don't find a huge amount of difference from die to die. The Redding, Wilson, and RCBS Gold Medal sets have micrometer seaters, which I really like. The RCBS Gold Medal set also has the cut-out so you can insert the bullet from the top----I love that. Run-out varies a tiny bit in the three more expensive die sets, but wasn't that terribly bad from the regular RCBS dies.

I do use Sinclair's split locking rings on all my good dies, as they are easier to set and stay better than the RCBS ones.

We are always told that.
But every time I am around people at 3 gun who started reloading the most common problem is stuck rounds.
Ironically factory ammo is done smaller.
Put a few factory rounds through a gauge and it will slip in and out almost without touching the sides.
The small base die will eliminate any problems in this area.
Why not just avoid the issue all together.

Because you are in many cases oversizing the brass, which causes it to wear out much faster. I do not S/B size any, and so far haven't had any issues----there is always a first time, I know....

Because you are in many cases oversizing the brass, which causes it to wear out much faster. I do not S/B size any, and so far haven't had any issues----there is always a first time, I know....
I just pick brass at the local range when we practice ( once a week).
All I can tell you is that people were having problems occasionally and a wise old reloader told us to get the small base dies and the problem went away.
The way I look at it is why not just get the die that will make life easier.