• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on FL-Sizing and Multiple Rifles

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I have three 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. So far, I've only been handloading brass shot through my Tikka T3x TAC A1 ... but I also have a LWRCI REPR and a 6.5-CM barrel for my Barrett MRAD. Here's my question: If I full-length size all my hand-loads, and build to a consistent case dimension that fits well into all three chambers ... am I still restricted (or advised) to only shooting handloads using brass from the same rifle that shot it the last time? I'd like to just "pool" all my 6.5-CM brass, size it and hand-load to optimize accuracy for my Tikka (for competition), but also shoot it for decent accuracy in my other two 6.5-CM rifles. Is there anything wrong with doing that? Should I separate my brass and only shoot brass that came out of the rifle I'm handloading for? Anybody have some advice or experiences?

The only real "problem" is that you'll be sizing your largest brass down to fit the smallest of the three chambers. You'll probably give up brass life by oversizing some of the brass but otherwise it isn't an issue. With that said, I wouldn't mix the gas gun brass with the bolt gun brass because they tend to be hard on brass such as ejector swipes and case rim pulls.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I keep the brass separate for each rifle, and normally only run LC in the semi.

I separate my brass and have 2 of the exact same dies set for different head spacing. I also keep my brass separated with a piece of paper in a baggie with information about it like which gun it’s intended for and the headspace

Reactions: camocorvette
    I have two 6.5 CM and run the same loads through both rifles without issue. Both are custom chambers and fired brass measures basically the same. Agree with what stated above above the gas gun and would load separately. Generally gas guns require a little more headspace and are tough on brass.

There's nothing wrong with it, but you are making compromises.

Assuming your chambers are within a few k of each other, its fine. If one is shorter an you size for that one, with a 4k bump, you may see issues in the long chamber. 'Optimized accuracy' and 'general load' don't really fit together, because you're going to make some concession on the first to have the second - but if that meets your needs, it meets your needs.

Are you that short on brass that you can't segregate by rifle?

Reactions: camocorvette
    There is more to this than the chamber datum length, the base each chamber will vary.
    If one of the rifles has a tight chamber and another has a loose chamber you may run into issues getting
    the brass fired from the loose chamber to fit into the rifle with the tight chamber regardless of the shoulder bump.

It usually gets worse as the case base work hardens from multiple firings and gets too hard for the die to bring it back.
    You may have to resort to a pass through or a small base die or you may get lucky and your multiple chambers and die will play nice
    together.

Wost case you will have to separate the brass.

You need to figure out how close the headspace is on the three rifles. With that info you may or may not be able to have one sizing dimension for the brass. For a field rifle you want .002"-.003" shoulder setback for reliability on the shortest chamber of the 3. If that that translates to .006" or more on the longest chamber then you are hastening your path to insipient head separation.

I keep separate brass for my factory chambered rifles and my custom chambered rifles. Production guns for liability reasons typically have longer headspace as well as longer throats AND bigger chamber dimensions than custom chambers with a known dimension reamer that is sharp and run in nice and straight by a competent gunsmith.

Reactions: spife7980
    I would get one of Whiddens adjustable die lock rings. They let you adjust the headspace in .001" increments by click. Start with a zero reference point and keep records of how many clicks you need for each rifle for proper headspacing. One sizing die for all three rifles. You could do the same thing with a micrometer powder die, without the adjusting ring, of course.

Rusty. A set of redding competition shell holders would probably be a great help with die set up. Set the sizer for hard contact with the shell holder. Find which of the redding shell holders gives the proper shoulder set back and make a note of which shell holder to use for that particular rifle. No adjusting the sizer, just use the correct shell holder.