• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question on free floating barrel?

mahbin

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2013
Escalon,Ca. US
I have a 1943 turk custom mauser with a ,shilin heavy contour barrel and it is in a bell and carlson varmint medalist stock. Questions is the barrel is free floated but part of the chamber is touching the barrel channel, do I need to releave that area. Or is it fine that way. It shoots vary well like it is, but will it shoot better opened all the way?

Last edited:
The general intent is to free float the barrel entirely unless the first inch or so is bedded with the receiver. I would say relieve the area so it is not contacting if it is beyond an inch or so from the recoil lug. Will you see any improvement? Likely not, but it may remedy a few of those flyers that show up for unknown reasons. Can't say anything with certainty on improvements, but I would do all I can for consistency of each shot.

Last edited:
The question if if the action is properly bedded. As you tighten the action screws the barrel should not move, meaning the small amount forward of the recoil lug and the action are all one unit. Put your stock in a padded vise, tighten the front action screw, then tighten the rear and observe the barrel muzzle, if it moves then the bedding is not even and receiver is bending as you torque the screws. You can relieve the epoxy forward of the recoil lug, but it would have been prudent to use 2 mil tape there from the get go.

How does it shoot right now? Can you shoot a string of 10 without heat shift? If so, any changes can also have a negative impact. The good thing is you are using a premium barrel, so in theory, should shoot well stress free or pressure bedded.

A bedded stock that provides barrel support for the first inch or few just ahead of the recoil lug is not unusual, and should only be relieved if definite evidence points toward this being a detriment to the rifle's accuracy.

Greg

The stock is bedded about inch or so on the chamber, the rest of the barrel is free floated, with the bell and carlson has a aluminium bedding block and there is a small amont of bedding aroung that. Pillers are done also. If I do my part it will bug holes at 100 yards, but there is a occasional flyer. But not sure if it is me or wind, load, moon not right. Was just wondering if it would help!!!

Start being anal retentive about the loads - cases, powder, bullets, runout, primers etc etc etc - that will cure the flyers.
Your rifle is fine; improperly bedded it will string with heat, not toss flyers.

Bedding forward of the recoil lug should only be under a straight cylinder section of barrel, no taper.

I think I will leave it alone, and I wil pay more attention to my loads. Was just wondering and thought I would ask.