• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Leupold spotting scopes

chuck1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2002
LA, CA
I have been looking for a spotting scope and have been trying to research what is available in my price range but finding useful reviews are rare. I am tired of trying to spot for my friends (and them for me) out in the desert using my rifle scope so the search is on.

I am done with the cheap ones. I tried a couple years ago and they were just a waste of money.

I am looking for something up to the $1000 to 1300 range.

The leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60mm HD kind caught my eye since it looks to be fairly compact but I can't find much on it.

I read of complaints on leupold rifle scopes ( I haven't had any issues with them so far) but how are their spotting scopes? It has been years since I have purchased one of their optics.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Re: Question on Leupold spotting scopes

Best spotter for the $$$ if you need a reticle. If you can buy it through promotive. If not, call Brady at SWFA. IIRC the Golden Ring is the same as a Mk4.

i use a Leupold Mk4 spotter with a TMR everyday for 3 tours now and i have ZERO complaints. thing is RUGGED! just take care of your gear man, dont toss an investment in the back of the car and hit speed bumps at 60 and you'll be fine. Gold Ring series are nice too, very clear and rugged spotters.

+1 for them

I really like my HD.
DroidPics033.jpg

ScottsPictures1836.jpg

ScottsPictures1834.jpg

Thanks guys. I just ordered one last night. Found it on the SWFA sample list for a decent deal. I will have it on wed. Now to finish machining the tripod I have been working on.

I love mine but it is not as nice as my Fujinon 80ED in some ways. With that said the Mark 4 goes with me most days because of the size. It is not much larger than my 7x50's and I really like it's eye relief. I think that you made the right choice as you get what you pay for with this Leupold.

I just paid 1411 on cheaperthandirt.com for a Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 with the TMR. It is a really good choice and I have the same thought process as you, put in a little extra money for the quality and durability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best spotter for the $$$ if you need a reticle. If you can buy it through promotive. If not, call Brady at SWFA. IIRC the Golden Ring is the same as a Mk4. </div></div>

I concur! Promotive would be a good choice for discounts, but cheaper than dirt just lowered the price by $200. A good deal and I am glad that I waited.

All the MK4 spotters I've used had been abused, and they were still great. The only other one I've ever seen that I thought was better is the Hendsoldt but no where near the same price. I don't think you'd regret getting one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chuck1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking for a spotting scope and have been trying to research what is available in my price range but finding useful reviews are rare. I am tired of trying to spot for my friends (and them for me) out in the desert using my rifle scope so the search is on.

I am done with the cheap ones. I tried a couple years ago and they were just a waste of money.

I am looking for something up to the $1000 to 1300 range.

The leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60mm HD kind caught my eye since it looks to be fairly compact but I can't find much on it.

I read of complaints on leupold rifle scopes ( I haven't had any issues with them so far) but how are their spotting scopes? It has been years since I have purchased one of their optics.

Any other suggestions? Thanks
</div></div>

I love my mark 4. Think i paid 1400 or 1500 hundred or it. Havent regtretted it for a second. So nice having the tmr reticle in it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southpaw357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I love mine. Think i paid 1400 or 1500 hundred or it. Havent regtretted it for a second. So nice having the tmr reticle in it </div></div>

Okay, today I purchased the Leupold 12-40 with the TMR off of cheaperthandirt for a price. I just went to my promotive account and the scope with the TMR is a lower price so now I have to return the one to cheaperthandirt and buy the cheaper one. It is a great deal.

I have one of the Mark 4 12-40x60mm with the TMR reticle and I love it. I got mine on such a smokin deal that you would all hate me for it. Incidentally I have looked through a lot of their HD and Mark 4's spotters using the standard USAF 1951 target and in my opinion the Mark 4 has <span style="font-weight: bold">marginally</span> better resolution. I believe the HD was intended partially for bird watchters for more accurate color reproduction when they were birding, so if I was getting one, I would just spring for the Mark 4 rather than buying a HD and having the reticle installed. Don't get me wrong, it is still a fine spotting scope and has a great image, I have just found that the Mark 4 looks better to <span style="font-weight: bold">me</span>.