• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question on M-16 barrel work

stumac66

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
Wylie,Texas 75089
I am looking for input. I have a 16" barrel on a full auto M-16. I want to have the barrel cut to 10.5" to 11". Do I need a larger gas tube for it to cycle properly?

My first post. Thanks for your help.

Re: Question on M-16 barrel work

Wow.....ummm, sorry but I do not know the correct answer for you.

You want to take a registered M-16 and just cut the barrel? Did I read that right?

Yes. It's a duty weapon and a year ago I purchased a new upper with a 16" barrel. It originally had a 14.5" barreled upper. I want to shorten the gun and install a Noveske suppressor. I did not want to purchase a new barrel if I can have the current barrel shortened. I did not know if the gun would cycle properly with the same gas tube.

you will need an adjustable gas block for sure, i had a 11.5 Daniel Defense SBR and out of the box i had to adjust the gas block
frown.gif
but it ran like a typewriter.

If its not full auto already your going to have to go to a hydrological buffer to kep it from doing this or it wont run......

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2GeugjmeF0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2GeugjmeF0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

More than likely, the gas port will need to be enlarged a little (gas tube stays the same). A shop like ADCO can take care of it. I have a cut down 11.5” barrel that runs fine in semi and FA. I did add a Noveske Switchblock which is nice when running a suppressor.

If I was using it for a duty weapon, I would probably just buy a new barrel and keep or sell the current one.

Thanks Flyer. I am leaning that way. Looks like I could sell my existing barrel and buy an upgraded barrel with the money I would spend cutting the old one.

Sledge Hammer turned me on to Seekins Precision rifles. Damn they are nice looking ARs. Looks like I am selling my YHM upper and going with a Seekins complete rifle. I think I am going with the 8" barrel.