• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question on need for new bolt with a new barrel

RESQGUY

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
CA
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of having a new barrel and recoil lug installed on a Rem 700 SA. I know that the stock bolt will work as far as headspace and function goes, so do I need to order a new bolt to reap all of the benefits of accuracy? Thanks guys.

Have your 'smith check the OEM bolt for lug engagement with the action, and to see if there's run-out of the boltface. Depending on how close it is to g-t-g, there may not be much benefit to replacing it with a custom bolt.

If, on the other hand, you're also wanting an extended bolt knob, .060" firing pin & matching FP hole, maybe a different type of extractor....you may as well go ahead with a custom bolt with these features included. Only exception to that would be if you're capable of doing the work in the first paragraph yourself.

I always sell my old bolt when its new and buy a PTG one piece with all the bells and whistles that I like. Just up to you and how long you want to wait, I talked to them yesterday and they are 8-12 weeks on bolts depending on what you want.

Casey