• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Runout - Newbie

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am brand new to reloading, and while playing around with my new reloading equipment, have questions on runout. Would I be correct in assuming that runout on the case neck could be a result of the entire neck not being concentric with the case body, or, a representation of neck wall thickness? How would you know which one?

- Phil

Re: Question on Runout - Newbie

It depends at what stage you measure. If case is unfired it could be the case body is bananna shaped .
After firing it may straighten up.
Then the case neck could still be straight on the outside but not concentric on the inside due to neck wall variations. Variations on the outside transfer inside after firing.
Then there is sizing problems.
Case necks can be pushed out of line by bad sizing dies or techniques or crooked press rams.
What you have to do is track your reloading system for errors.
Measure cases before firing , after firing , before sizing , after sizing , measure bullets after seating.
Then if you see excessive errors in runout after a process then you have to change that process to remove that faulty outcome.
A lot of potential problems can be sidesteped by buying quality reloading equipment and components right from the start.
If you are new to reloading you may be better off buying good Lapua brass and uniform them up a bit and just reload and fire form them . After that they should show little run out. Learn the basics of safe handloding first then branch out into more complex accuracy handloading.

Re: Question on Runout - Newbie

Understood. I will document steps and measurements. Brass is fired Winchester 223 Remington, cleaned, including interior neck. This is for an AR15, which can be rough on brass, so did not opt for Lapua.

Equipment should be good. For things pertaining to case neck runout, I am using a Redding full length die with optional floating carbide button, Forster Co-Ax press, Imperial sizing wax, and a Sinclairs dial indicator runout measurement tool.

- Phil