• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on sales etiquette

I've bought stuff for friends off here that are not forum savvy or members. I've had them make the payment to whomever the purchase was from.

But I've also said hey, your gonna get a paypal from so and so, just a heads up.

I think it was excessive to cancel the sale.

But that's on you. States in the rules that's your choice. But I think you should be able to reasonably articulate why.

Negative attention to the PX is always bad. That's how boss man just makes it go away...

20230320_182052.gif

I'm sitting on a ton of gear, primers, powder, bullets, etc. I'll never use. Just a PITA to sell on the internet. I guess if I needed the money, I'd make an effort. This way, my kids can have an estate sale when I'm gone.

I'm sitting on a ton of gear, primers, powder, bullets, etc. I'll never use. Just a PITA to sell on the internet. I guess if I needed the money, I'd make an effort. This way, my kids can have an estate sale when I'm gone.
Iā€™ve learned that the PX is about the only place I can sell shooting related gear anymore (the only other forum Iā€™m on is 68forum). I got a perma-ban on FB marketplace for trying to sell a compound bow and some herbicide lol. Apparently both are ā€œdangerous itemsā€.

I'm to the point of giving up on the PX. It's almost to the point of being Armslist. No, I don't want your Savage Axis in 30.06 on trade.
Also seems to be an increasing amount of commercial accounts flooding the used section.

• Haha
Reactions: SniperBro
Because a lot of folks are not interested in having to pay a 3% tax to a corporation that hates us when you don't really need to.
That fake "security blanket" costs you good money and good luck with your account if you ever call them up and whine about the guns / scopes / gun parts you bought not being correct.

Do you really actually want to be funding your enemies when you can simply get the job done nearly for free?
show be your wallet void of credit cards?

Also seems to be an increasing amount of commercial accounts flooding the used section.
Amen to that. A separate commercial px would be great but they pay the big(ger) bucks so it is what it is.

ok guy, there's big delta between dumping all your means of online payment and voluntarily donating 3% of every sale.

but you yell/ scream "victim" when a deal goes sour.

Next time you yank out you credit card you are paying/ donating 3% to the man. You should remember to build the 3% into the price. Everyone else does.

Next time you yank out you credit card you are paying/ donating 3% to the man. You should remember to build the 3% into the price. Everyone else does.
On top of the 3-4% fee, should we also just build in the small ~20% IRS income tax fee that's starting soon for "E-commerce," like PP G&S? Seems feasible...

Reactions: BurtG and jb0311

lol i do what now? Please, enlighten me. Where are you getting that I yell/scream victim? What deal are we talking about here?

Do you sometimes feel you are just here to argue, but can't remember what or why?

A little common sense goes a long way. Since you seem to have none, yes, I encourage you to use PP G&S to protect your dealings.

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
Using friends and family for transactions is... (possibly IMHO,) fraud.

read up!

"Hereā€™s a good rule: If theyā€™re not your friends and family in real life, they shouldnā€™t be your friends and family on PayPal.

Occasionally, sellers will request that you make a purchase using PayPal friends and family rather than the traditional Goods and services payment. This can be a convincing argument as there is no fee required, meaning they may offer you a discounted rate.

Donā€™t take the bait.

In fact, using PayPal friends and family for business purchases is explicitly against their User Agreement:

ā€œYou must not use the ā€œsend money to a friend or family memberā€ feature in your PayPal account when you are paying for goods or services.ā€

Business owners know this as well as should never ask you to pay in this way. Take it as a red flag and just pay the goods and services fee.

As one user commented ā€œ3% is a small price to pay for peace of mindā€

Hereā€™s a good rule: If theyā€™re not your friends and family in real life, they shouldnā€™t be your friends and family on PayPal.

Occasionally, sellers will request that you make a purchase using PayPal friends and family rather than the traditional Goods and services payment. This can be a convincing argument as there is no fee required, meaning they may offer you a discounted rate.

Donā€™t take the bait.

In fact, using PayPal friends and family for business purchases is explicitly against their User Agreement:

ā€œYou must not use the ā€œsend money to a friend or family memberā€ feature in your PayPal account when you are paying for goods or services.ā€

Business owners know this as well as should never ask you to pay in this way. Take it as a red flag and just pay the goods and services fee.

As a seller to do this is called fee avoidance and PayPal may disable that feature on your account if it is abused.​

Maybe you should try VENMO. (owned by paypal)

How do you use G+S if you never sold someone anything?

As far as withholding goes... are you selling products for a profit and not reporting income?

You're already crying "victim" IMHO

read up!

"Hereā€™s a good rule: If theyā€™re not your friends and family in real life, they shouldnā€™t be your friends and family on PayPal.

Donā€™t take the bait.

Hereā€™s a good rule: If theyā€™re not your friends and family in real life, they shouldnā€™t be your friends and family on PayPal.

Donā€™t take the bait.

As a seller to do this is called fee avoidance and PayPal may disable that feature on your account if it is abused.​

As far as withholding goes... are you selling products for a profit and not reporting income?

Jesus Christ dude, chill. Fuck paypal but sometimes F&F is the best option for all parties involved. I prefer a personal check if dealing with an established member. A guy thatā€™s been on here for 15 years with well over 10k posts isnā€™t going to fuck someone over in the PX.

read up!

Donā€™t take the bait.

Donā€™t take the bait.

Suck that big gov and commie business dick

read up!

Donā€™t take the bait.

Donā€™t take the bait.

I would contend that anyone here that I engage in conversation with, that I share the same interests and hobbies with are "friends." Just because you sell them something, or they send you money, doesn't make it a pure "business transaction." If that's the case, there are zero legitimate friends and family transactions. This forum is still "real life," with real people and real discussion, although some certainly are in fantasy land lol. Besides all that, I'd be willing to bet you've engaged in a friends and family transaction with someone you didn't "know" somewhere along the way way.

Where you live bro. For research purposes.

• Haha
Reactions: Jgunner

read up!

Donā€™t take the bait.

Donā€™t take the bait.

Fuck PayPal and Fuck the filthy Government.
Since PayPal refuses to let you openly use their services for your 2A rights, I take great pride in making use of their services for what they explicitly hate and denying them a greedy cut of the money as punishment for their stupid wokeness.

Take your bow down and worship the corporate overlords bullshit somewhere where somebody cares.

read up!

Donā€™t take the bait.

Donā€™t take the bait.

Did anyone actually read all this?

I wouldn't think there would be way to make it against the rules for payment to come from someone other than the buyer. Would be kind of hard to police and would be a dumb rule anyway that would exclude a lot of buyers.

I've had lots of deals where the buyer didn't use Paypal, their Paypal is shut down, or the guy's wife sent paypal from her account for the buyer. I've let my brother use my Paypal countless times because he doesn't do the Paypal thing either. And I've used friends and lots of family members Paypal over the years for various things. As long as the buyer is authorized, what does it matter? Are you verifying every transaction to make sure the person is the name they give? Are you asking for ID from every buyer to make sure the name they give with shipping info is really them, and then matching it up with their Paypal or Venmo? I doubt it. If I hack your paypal, and also give your name and my address, that proposed rule wouldn't stop any fraud. I would think anyone that automatically rejected payment based on that (proposed rule) was a jackass. You might have a valid reason in this specific case, but a blanket rule would be ridiculous.

I guess as a seller I would just go case by case and make a judgement call. But I've never backed out of a deal or refunded $ because the payment didn't match the buyer's name.
If you've got the money who gives a damn where it came from. If its straight PayPal, not F&F, then once the money hits and leaves your account its a done deal. I have 2 accounts: one for receiving the money and one that the $$$ get transferred (in cash, no account cross talk) to immediately.

If you've got the money who gives a damn where it came from. If its straight PayPal, not F&F, then once the money hits and leaves your account its a done deal. I have 2 accounts: one for receiving the money and one that the $$$ get transferred (in cash, no account cross talk) to immediately.
Can you explain how this works?
Thanks.

Right. It's a done deal as soon as money is sent via F&F. G&S is another thing. Buyers have most of the power and can make shady claims (didn't receive item, wasn't as described etc.). And Paypal normally sides with a buyer. I think I mentioned in a previous post that thats one of the several reasons I refuse to accept G&S as a seller.

If its straight PayPal, not F&F, then once the money hits and leaves your account its a done deal.
Ha.let the buyer say he got a defective item or just an empty box. See what happens

F and f is much safer for a seller

Reactions: W54/XM-388
The 3rd party F&F is crap. The 3rd party will support the payment with a CC then after the seller supplies shipment they call the CC company and dispute the charge. Last I knew, PP will reverse the payment immediately with no contest

The 3rd party F&F is crap. The 3rd party will support the payment with a CC then after the seller supplies shipment they call the CC company and dispute the charge. Last I knew, PP will reverse the payment immediately with no contest
I got scammed and paypl did nothing because I paid f and f

Reactions: SniperBro
How does that protect you?
It protects the legitimate seller bc it prevents the buyer from bringing bogus claims...see post #93 for perfect example of buyer not being able to reverse the transaction.

Also protects you from bogus IRS taxes whenever they start that up.

Last edited:
Right. It's a done deal as soon as money is sent via F&F. G&S is another thing. Buyers have most of the power and can make shady claims (didn't receive item, wasn't as described etc.). And Paypal normally sides with a buyer. I think I mentioned in a previous post that thats one of the several reasons I refuse to accept G&S as a seller.
I got scammed and paypl did nothing because I paid f and f
THats why, as I said above, you always have two accounts. One to receive the money. the moment the money clears, you remove it in cash and put it in a different account, no connections between the two. Keep $10 or so in the first account jut to keep it open.

Then you're in control if womething needs sorted out.

Iā€™m going to play devilā€™s advocate here because Iā€™ve negotiated a deal with someone here but used my wifeā€™s PayPal. But I led with that situation and thankfully the person I was dealing with was cool with it. So, it shouldnā€™t automatically be a deal breaker but definitely donā€™t discount any bullshit detection

I have had a few guys here pay via wifeā€™s account. Never an unknown 3rd party.
If someone ask I would get a group text going and figure out details before moving forward.

I presently have two folks who committed to fairly large purchases who have not paid for several weeks. I doubt I out them but sure wish I had not boxed and labeled everything. One is 3 large, heavy boxes.

This is not common on the site and I wanted to get them the items ASAP. My mistake.