• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question on Spuhr Instructions regarding Rosin

caveman_actual

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
NoVA
I've recently received my Spuhr QDP-4002 mount and when reading the instructions they mention using a small amount of dry rosin to mount the scope. I am putting an S&B PMII 5-25x56 on top of a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun. My instinct is that the rosin is not necessary with this setup. The mount seems robust enough to hold steady and the low recoil of the rifle (compared to a magnum) makes me think this is unnecessary.

Has anyone seen issues with a similar setup when not using the rosin? Anyone to confirm my instincts are correct?

I’ve been shooting my AI in 6.5CM with a S&B 5-25 PMII using a Spuhr base for 2 years. Never, EVER a slip, slide or anything.
Funny enough, I brought it out the other day after not shooting in for about 6 months (I shoot much more gas gun stuff large and small frame). First group of the day....5 shots into .66 moa. This after being off the gun for AT LEAST 6 months. The Spuhr and S&B combo is absolutely my favorite, bar none.

Reactions: caveman_actual
It’s not worth it unless the gun has a heavy recoil imo. Not too many quality rings out there slipping

I've recently received my Spuhr QDP-4002 mount and when reading the instructions they mention using a small amount of dry rosin to mount the scope. I am putting an S&B PMII 5-25x56 on top of a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun. My instinct is that the rosin is not necessary with this setup. The mount seems robust enough to hold steady and the low recoil of the rifle (compared to a magnum) makes me think this is unnecessary.

Has anyone seen issues with a similar setup when not using the rosin? Anyone to confirm my instincts are correct?
It’s so easy to do, I just add the rosin as suggested and haven’t had any problems.

The rosin does seem to eliminate the slight (and I mean very slight) burnish you might get to the finish.

I’ve been shooting my AI in 6.5CM with a S&B 5-25 PMII using a Spuhr base for 2 years. Never, EVER a slip, slide or anything.
Funny enough, I brought it out the other day after not shooting in for about 6 months (I shoot much more gas gun stuff large and small frame). First group of the day....5 shots into .66 moa. This after being off the gun for AT LEAST 6 months. The Spuhr and S&B combo is absolutely my favorite, bar none.
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks

Nope, you don't need it.

You need it for very heavy recoil, but most important is to NOT clean of the wax of the screws as that will greatly limit the torque holding the scope in the rings.

Rosin is as written above a small insurance to not get any ringmarks, now there is a minimum risk of getting ringmarks with our mounts but never know, it might happend.

I use to put rosin inside all rings.
But that is just me, thinking anything that is worth killing is certainly worth overkilling :)

Nope, you don't need it.

You need it for very heavy recoil, but most important is to NOT clean of the wax of the screws as that will greatly limit the torque holding the scope in the rings.

Rosin is as written above a small insurance to not get any ringmarks, now there is a minimum risk of getting ringmarks with our mounts but never know, it might happend.

But that is just me, thinking anything that is worth killing is certainly worth overkilling :)
Question for you:

Your original instructions suggest to use 20 inch-lbs. for the scope rings screws. However, your Fix it Sticks kit includes 25 inch-lbs. torque limiter. So, what is the right torque setting, 20 or 25?

Oringally we wrote 15-25 depending on scopemanufacturer.
But today we recoomend 25 as most manufacturers approves that.

I used rosin on mine.
Reasoning seems to be:
US rings are made to clamp down on scope tubes and held with lots of torque.
EU rings seem to be made possibly a hair larger in diameter, and use rosin and less torque to hold scope tubes down.

If you use rosin, for the love of God (god, gods) COVER your action with a towel. It was windy the day I mounted it at the range. Rosin got into my action and seized up the entire rifle. I had to put it in a parts cleaner tank over night to get all of the rosin out. That was just a little bit of the stuff blowing onto the bolt body of my Remington 700.

Nope, you don't need it.

Good points, thanks for the response. Overkilling may have struck the right cord for me

I've always torqued every ring to 18in lbs - all various top end scopes from NF, Vortex and Kahles - in ADM, LaRue and Spuhr mounts, as well as rings from Leupold and Seekins.

No rosin or any other media - just rings and scope tubes wiped clean. Never an issue, ring mark, or even the slightest slip/movement on bolt actions or AR's. (5.56 to 300WM)